wrestled a Bobcat

/ wrestled a Bobcat #1  

Anonymous Poster

I do not own a FEL but I rented a Bobcat last week to move some dirt. Very cool little machine. I was in total control of it by the end of the day; it was actually pretty easy to figure out. it seems to be somewhat less versitile than a tractor, but it did the trick for what I needed. I think a tractor with FEL would be a much better "jack of all trades" piece of equipment. A friend told me he had experience with a Gehl brand skidsteer, and said he prefered the controls over the Bobcat. Just thought I would relate my experience. Hope its the right forum.

/ wrestled a Bobcat #2  
It sure makes the cost of renting easier when you have all that fun or should i say when you get all that work that needed to be done--done. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Darin

/ wrestled a Bobcat #3  
Yamaben,

Your right about the versitile nature of a tractor. You can do it all with one machine.
However, the skid steer is a much better loader than any tractor since;
1) you can manuver much much faster with the skidsteer and if you are moving a big pile of dirt or gravel this is a big help.
2) You can't see the bucket / forks on a tractor like you can on a skidsteer. This is especially true for the forks. I often have to get off and look at the alignment of the forks with my tractor to make sure I don't spear the load I am working on. Not true with the skidsteer.

The solution to this delema is to own one of each!

Unfortunetaly, for now I have to resort to renting the skid steer as needed.

my two cents...

Phred

/ wrestled a Bobcat #4  
<font color=blue>"The solution to this dilemma is to own one of each!"</font color=blue>

That idea is something I've actually considered lately. I'm not a fan of the Bobcat brand simply because their cabs are a little on the smallish side for me. I really like the New Holland versions that are quite a bit larger.

From what I'm told by a guy who has this one it's a powerful and handy thing to have. He's a landscaper and uses it a lot. His belief is that you use a tractor for mowing and other 3 pt. hitch work but leave the digging and earth moving to the skid steer loader. This one is "borrow-able" so I may try it for a weekend to see if I really want to spend the money on one.

I really don't know what the money would be on one, either. The used ones seem to be all over the board on prices and at this point I don't know enough about them to appreciate the differences so I'll probably stay away from buying one right away even if I love his. I'd need to learn a lot more about them before I went out and bought one. Is there an SBN (SkidsteersByNet) out there somewhere? /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ wrestled a Bobcat #5  
Gary,
Make sure you get a skid steer with hand controls.
The ones with foot controls BITE !!!
You have much better control for grading with the hand controls..

/ wrestled a Bobcat #6  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

That idea is something I've actually considered lately.

<hr></blockquote>

Me to. I just need to wait in order to spread out the pain a little.
You just can’t beat the skidsteer for loader work.

I have seen used skidsteers with ~1000-2000 hrs for around 10K. These units are still in fairly good shape.
A key element for me will be bobcat compatibility on the loader quick attach. Some of the case units use a different setup than the bobcat and most attachments out there are available for the bobcats. Also my tractor loader (blue of course) is compatible with the bobcat attachments. So one set will work with both machines! This is really cool since some of the bobcat attachments are pretty cheap and you can rent the ones that you don’t want to buy. I already have a set of forks and a bucket that could also work on the skidsteer.

Fred

/ wrestled a Bobcat #7  
I have both and they are a GREAT combo.
JD 250 SSL w/ foot controls and they work VERY WELL.
TC35D w/84" MMM.
I built an adapter for my SSL to take 3PT tools, my 6' box blade never worked as well as
it does on my SSL.
Try renting or demo some for what will work for you.

/ wrestled a Bobcat #8  
You can buy a brand new Thomas, mid size power (45hp) for about 12K. See them go at the auctions on a regular basis for less than that. Think this is a fairly new company trying to make in roads. think it's a canadian company. Can't vouch for durability etc but when you realize all these things are are a bunch of pieces made by different companies and put together by the "amnufacturer". All drives etc are hydraulic and the hydraulic motors are likley made by someone else too. For the cost savings I'd try one.

/ wrestled a Bobcat #9  
I could not agree with gerald less.

We looked at many brands. The few non-Bobcat machines we actually could look at looked ok, but for most brands the dealers only showed us a brochure and said they "could order one". Not any in stock. After talking with many people in the construction business it was clear that Bobcat had about 90% of the industry, and for good reason. They are built better and have better support and resale. I think the non-Bobcat sales are to people who didn't do their research.

We went to Nichols Bobcat in Houston and they had dozens in stock and llitterally had several trucks driving out the gate delivering them to customes. The had many in the shop so we could see how they are built and we got a good tour of what weras out, how to open them up for service, etc. Many parts in stock. We were so impressed with Bobcat compared to the brochures of the othr brands that "could be ordered" that we bought a 753 with straight bucket and toothed bucket. Very well thought out machine that is well supported. Easy to service.

We have added hydraulic auger, steel tracks, and our most used attachment, a forklift attachment. After about eight years now Most service parts we order come UPS in a few days. Most service parts we order come UPS in a few days. I think if this one was stolen or exploded we would replace it with the same brand and same model. Bobcat 753!

Remember that you get what you pay for. You could by a 4wd tractor from Northern for $7k, or you could buy a Kubota. I'd rather have a used kubota for $9k than a brand new Northern tractor for $7K. Buy quality!

Jim Poux

/ wrestled a Bobcat #10  
Jim,

How do you like those steel tracks?
For some jobs that seems like a great way to go since you would not have to worry about flats and traction should be very good?

Trade off is a rough ride and fuel usage, as well as the fact that they are harder on the machine?

Fred