Too early to plow garden?

/ Too early to plow garden? #1  

JimLS

I live is southern Illinois. Best time to plow is in the fall I think but it didn't get done. We have had a dry spell so I was considering plowing. But from what I have read later would be better. Just wanted to get others thoughts on this. We have a pretty good cover of grass now as most of this was plowed last spring but we didn't garden most of it.

Thanks!

/ Too early to plow garden? #2  
Is the frost out down by you? Other than that only moisture content and planting intent to consider. I like to early till and then just before planting to knock out the seeds that have germinated.

/ Too early to plow garden?
We are still getting some freezing at night although the last few days have been about 50. I don't think we have more than a very thin layer of frozen ground in the mornings on the warmer days. We are going to get showers through next week so this seemed like a good day to hit it unless I wait until much later in the spring. We usually get quite a bit of rain in the spring but so far it has been less than normal.

You say to consider moisture content and crop. Can you tell me a bit more on that? Obviously I don't want to plow when the ground is saturated but beyond that what should I be considering and how do I tell? The soil here is a lot of heavy clay but on the top of a hill so pretty well drained.

/ Too early to plow garden? #4  
Have you gardened before or is this your first time? I would probably wait a while in all honesty. How big an area are you doing?

/ Too early to plow garden? #5  
I would think it is to muddy.

You can't undo the damge if you plow to wet.

/ Too early to plow garden? #6  
Go for it unless your ground is too wet...you don't want to plow wet soill since you will cause some real problems with ruts and clumping that are real hard to deal with..bo out with a shovel and spade down and see if your soild is clumping or is able to fall apart in your hand..that should give you a good idea.

/ Too early to plow garden? #7  
Soil temperatures are the best indicator, some local stations give them on their weather reports once it gets closer to planting time. Sure, if it is dry enough, till. Remember that everytime you till you will loose some of the subsoil moisture. (one reason farmers have gone minimum till or no-till). Sometimes after a long cold winter like this one it just FEELS GOOD to turn the earth and smell the fragrance! Then till again right before planting to kill off the early weeds (are always some) and to make a smooth bed for those early garden crop seeds. Especially watch soil temp before planting the sweet corn, have had to replant more than once because I got in a hurry and spring turned cold and wet.

/ Too early to plow garden? #8  
I went down to the big garden this afternoon. The snow is gone, but it is still VERY wet (here in central Va). Think everything is going to be at least 2 weeks late this year. Normally, I'd put potatoes in the ground on St. Pattie's Day. Won't happen this year.

Ralph