Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #11  
Plowing is a talent I simply don't have. I think my biggest problem is that I've never had the right match of plow to tractor. I have another little plow that I bought this winter from a guy who needed the money. I'm going to try it with my Massey 1215 SCUT.

The collective wisdom here as to what is good advice and what is not is very helpful.

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #12  
Here's the one that affects me like nails on a chalkboard, the narrator even says "good job" at one point, if you can watch it that far.:laughing:
Looks more like furrowing (ie: making rows in the garden to plant something like potatoes in) than plowing.

Aaron Z

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #13  
Interesting that is thread came up. I'm in the process of searching for a 4 bottom plow. I have about 20 acres that I'm going to sprig this spring with Midland 99. Having a hard time finding what I want. There are more 3 point bottom plows available but would prefer something a little better but better comes with a price and I have a wife and budget. :)

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #14  
Milkman and npalen your right it is sad they are just scratching the ground. But with the small size of power units that's about all that can be done.
I haven't plowed ground for years but last time I worked ground we used a subsoiler to 3' for the hardpan after disking then went straight to a 6 or 7 bottom plow. Loved it.

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #15  
I'm thinking about planting another field for hay when my current field runs out of gas. I have a nice tiller but thought it might be better to plow it up first. After looking at the video of the 50 hp tractor I was thinking that would be perfect since that is the exact tractor that I have. Then I saw the price!!!
I had no idea they cost so much. By the time I put colters on and shipped it here I would be looking at about $1400-$1500.

Lots of people say that boats are black holes that suck up money...I wonder if they ever tried their hand at farming?

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #17  
I'm thinking about planting another field for hay when my current field runs out of gas. I have a nice tiller but thought it might be better to plow it up first. After looking at the video of the 50 hp tractor I was thinking that would be perfect since that is the exact tractor that I have. Then I saw the price!!!
I had no idea they cost so much. By the time I put colters on and shipped it here I would be looking at about $1400-$1500.

Lots of people say that boats are black holes that suck up money...I wonder if they ever tried their hand at farming?

Look around on craigslist and I'll bet you'll find something you can use at a lot lower price. I found this old JD 2-14 plow with coulters on CL for $200.

DSCF0120 (Small).JPG

DSCF0121 (Small).JPG

The 3pt hitch on the plow was shot (wouldn't hold adjustment) so I rebuilt it in a more modern style (cost about $60 for steel and a few hours with the welder)

DSCF0075 (Small).JPG

DSCF0077 (Small).JPG

It's one heavy sumgun.