Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
I see videos of guys "plowing" with what is sometimes referred to as a "turn plow" and it almost makes this old farm boy sick. Nine times out of ten (it seems anyway) the moldboards are no where near "in the ground". There are few things neater that a moldboard plow running correctly and laying up beautiful earth. I understand that someone growing up in other than a farm community would probably not have a chance to experience a correctly working moldboard.
(Stepping down off soapbox now):)

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #2  
How does this look to you? This was thick, heavy sod that hadn't been turned over for about 25 years. I was using a 4 btm IH 720 plow with sidehill hitch and was pulling it with an IH 1066.

Plowinginbackfield08.jpg

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #3  
Or maybe this one, completely different type of soil here, very flinty, almost all stones but grows great corn. This ground had been in CRP for 20 years, contract ran out, so put it in sweet corn.
( All the land on my place will be no-till in the next several years starting with this spring. Most folks in this area do no-till and cover crops are becoming very important. Hopefully we are becoming better stewards of the soil.)

Plowingwith720.jpg

Last edited:
   / Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #4  
Or maybe this one, completely different type of soil here, very flinty, almost all stones but grows great corn. This ground had been in CRP for 20 years, contract ran out, so put it in sweet corn.
( All the land on my place will be no-till in the next several years starting with this spring. Most folks in this area do no-till and cover crops are becoming very important. Hopefully we are becoming better stewards of the soil.)

Plowingwith720.jpg

Love the pictures, we still have an old three bottom plow, but went no-till several years ago. We did use the plow this fall to work up an old pasture; brought back memories. In my area, most big plows have been sold for scrap.

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #5  
Maybe some photos or better yet a video on how you think it should be done?

Wedge

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #7  
The videos on Everythng Attachments show both a two-bottom and single bottom plow in use. Anything more to add to what is said or done on those videos?

Everything Attachments - Skid Steer Attachments, Tractor Attachments, 3 Point Hitch Attachments, Farm Tractor Implements.

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing
   / Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #9  
I see videos of guys "plowing" with what is sometimes referred to as a "turn plow" and it almost makes this old farm boy sick. Nine times out of ten (it seems anyway) the moldboards are no where near "in the ground". There are few things neater that a moldboard plow running correctly and laying up beautiful earth. I understand that someone growing up in other than a farm community would probably not have a chance to experience a correctly working moldboard.
(Stepping down off soapbox now):)

Not sure what you mean by this . A lot of the farms i've ploughed on the land determines how deep you plough but it's possible do do a very nice job at 5 inches riding on a layer of gravel if you have the right boards .And standing furrows up in the air is'nt always desirable in certain soil types. We don't plough any more but heres a few from when we did.
7 inches deep in the first pic and 13 inches deep for potatoes in the second !

/ Pet Peeve-Videos on Moldboard Plowing #10