Storing Implements

/ Storing Implements #1  

tdenny

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 855 4WD, HST
OK,

I now have several implements and my extra garage bay holds my tractor and whichever one I happen to have attached to it at the moment. I'm going to build a new structure that would hold all of my other tractor tools, diesel tanks, etc and make them easier to back up to and attach while keeping them out of the weather. The question is:

What features would you experts build into this type of structure if you had the chance. Anything anyone can think of (within reason and a somewhat reasonable budget- i.e no cranes, lifts, etc.) ? What size might you all suggest. Out here in the Seattle area you need a permit for anything larger than 10 x 12 but lets just assume that I'm getting a permit. I know the bigger the better but this thing is really only to store tractor implements so I don't need it to be too big. I will be building another much larger shop/garage next year.

/ Storing Implements #2  
Hey TD!

As you know, I'm not speaking from experience. But I certainly have thought a lot about what I'll do when I get all of my stuff.

Besides the obvious of making sure the floor is level, will it be concrete? If it were me, and it was going to be concrete, I'd have a drain in the center so that I could wash the equipment while it's inside, or at least drain after washing it down outside. Hint, hint - have water sources both inside and outside. I'd also certainly have electrical service.

I'd provide for enough room to have a work space area with some storage to do minor repairs or servicing. It doesn't have to be very large, because any major work would be done in your future larger building.

I'd build dollies for each implement so that I could roll the implement where I want it. That way, you don't need multiple overhead doors to get to all the implements or you're not having to "wiggle" the tractor around to get hooked up.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more ideas from the others. I hope so! Then I'll get more ideas too! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Storing Implements #3  
TD; If it going to be for implements, etc. exclusively,and you will be building another garage/barn, have you thought of a structure with an open front? They seem to be quite popular with farmers in my area.
I imagine a structure 8-10' deep and 30 ' wide would be able to house several implements, and if you went with a roof pitched from the front to the back, and be relatively inexpensive.
My 2 cents,
Will

/ Storing Implements #4  
I want to second Golfgar's idea of using dollies. I made my own using cheap casters-4/$10 from Northern Supply, using dimensions suitable for the implement. Makes hooking up a lot easier, and really saves a lot of storage space.

/ Storing Implements #5  
If I had the space for the wrap around driveway, I would have a sliding door on both the front and back gable ends. That way, I could drive in and drive out.

/ Storing Implements #6  
Hi Todd:

I just responged to your personal message.

Interesting I to was just looking into some additional tempory storage. Even with our 30X40 shop with attached enclosed 16X40 lean to and two car attached garage. Space has become a rare commodity. And more things just keep folowing me home. Picked up a neat Allis Chalmers G model over the weekend.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. I'm looking at leasing an 8X40 ocean going container with a set of doors on both ends. All you do is provide the blocking to level it, and they come out and set it. One instant 320 square foot storage shed with an 8 foot ceiling height. Since it doesn't have a permanent foundation (thus portable storage) you don't need a building permit. I should have prices tommorrow. These also are available in 20,28,32,40 and 45 footers. They are aluminum and lockable for security.

/ Storing Implements
Garry, Russ, and all

Thanks for the ideas. I know this much for sure. It will have a concrete floor, it will have electrical and water. I was considering one side open but the way it rains out here in Seattle everything will still get wet. Unfortunately where I'm planning on putting it I won't have access to the front and the back. Good suggestions all. I have definitely considered dollies.

/ Storing Implements #8  
TD, I started a new thread called 'Implement Dollies'. You can see my solution there. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Storing Implements
Will check it out Jerry thanks.

/ Storing Implements #10  
TD, You may want to check your area codes. In this area as soon as you say <font color=blue>” It will have a concrete floor, it will have electrical and water.”</font color=blue> you have a new set of rules. That may not be a concern where you are. If dollies are something you want I would think a concrete floor is the way to go. For me a building open on one side with a vapor barrier and 4” of crushed stone works fine.

MarkV