Operating tractor on a grade.

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #11  
By doing this if I start to lose it I can turn into the roll and drop the FEL and mower to lower the COG and help stop the tractor if needed.

Drop off that loader before you start and you'll lower your C of G quite a bit. That loader frame adds a lot of weight above the axles.

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #12  
I think spyderlk is right, there痴 a big difference between 25 degrees and 25%. And there痴 a good chance the estimate is way off, as it痴 tough to judge slope without a lot of experience. As least I hope that's the case. :D Trying to plant on a 25 degree slope will be a waste of time.

MMagis, I also live in Guernsey County. Read Rd.:)

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #13  
25 degrees is alot.We have a 55 hp kubota at work that lost all hst on a slope 25 degrees.Went back wards as if you were in neutral.Hit the cement bridge on the way down.for some reason hst's aren't made to go on inclines past 22 degrees.if you have to drive safe

Hmm, That's a new one. I've had my HST on slopes that steep and never had a problem. For obvious reasons I would only recommend going straight up and straight down. My old trusty 8N popped out of gear one time on one of our hills and that was a problem! Was a brief wild ride but got it stopped.

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #14  
Drop off that loader before you start and you'll lower your C of G quite a bit. That loader frame adds a lot of weight above the axles.

Oftentimes good advice, but the FEL on my CX80 helps balance the weight of my 10 foot mower when going uphill and running the bucket low to the ground seems to help going across and is a PITA to remove anyway. With my smaller tractors, I always remove the FEL; guess you just need to know your tractor and do what works best.

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #15  
Hmm, That's a new one. I've had my HST on slopes that steep and never had a problem. For obvious reasons I would only recommend going straight up and straight down. My old trusty 8N popped out of gear one time on one of our hills and that was a problem! Was a brief wild ride but got it stopped.

Being that an HST operates as a hydraulic pumping circuit, instead of a mechanical connection (i.e. gears), if you get the tractor tipped too steeply, the fluid in the bottom of the tranny can't reach the intake for the HST internal plumbing, resulting in cavitation. Different makes/models of tractors would each have their own unique limits, of course, but it's something to be aware of with any HST equipment.

There was a thread here on TBN several years ago about some fella who took his brand new tractor way out in the West Va hills, got it stuck on a steep hillside, and couldn't get it out again, all due to this kind of cavitation problem. Never did hear if he got it out of there.

I sort of figure any hill steep enough that it might cause this type of problem is way beyond where I want to be going for more obvious reasons.

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #16  
Oftentimes good advice, but the FEL on my CX80 helps balance the weight of my 10 foot mower when going uphill and running the bucket low to the ground seems to help going across and is a PITA to remove anyway. With my smaller tractors, I always remove the FEL; guess you just need to know your tractor and do what works best.

Why not purchase or manufacture front weights? Most factory weights I've seen have had the majority of the mass near or below the axle.
Although my loader is off most of the summer months, if I have to mow, I'll drop the QA bucket off. Even doing that considerably lowers the weight.

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #17  
Why not purchase or manufacture front weights? Most factory weights I've seen have had the majority of the mass near or below the axle.
Although my loader is off most of the summer months, if I have to mow, I'll drop the QA bucket off. Even doing that considerably lowers the weight.

Short answer, because it works for me and has for many years.

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #18  
Being that an HST operates as a hydraulic pumping circuit, instead of a mechanical connection (i.e. gears), if you get the tractor tipped too steeply, the fluid in the bottom of the tranny can't reach the intake for the HST internal plumbing, resulting in cavitation. Different makes/models of tractors would each have their own unique limits, of course, but it's something to be aware of with any HST equipment.

There was a thread here on TBN several years ago about some fella who took his brand new tractor way out in the West Va hills, got it stuck on a steep hillside, and couldn't get it out again, all due to this kind of cavitation problem. Never did hear if he got it out of there.

I sort of figure any hill steep enough that it might cause this type of problem is way beyond where I want to be going for more obvious reasons.

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Jim

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #19  
I have to go up a steep hill to get to part of my property. I always go straight up. I have a bucket loader, and back hoe. I almost rolled it, because I slipped to one side, and the machine wheels locked. My solution was to have the bucket filled with rocks. as low to the ground as possible, and in four wheel drive. I have since purchased a bigger machine,(L) and Kubota has done some advertising, on how they extended the wheel base on this size tractor. I also have logging chains on most of the year. Because I primarily do food plots as well. That experience was enough to make me extra safety conscience. The tires on the old machine, were filled, and it was a shuttle shift, 4x4, so The HST may not be the problem.

/ Operating tractor on a grade. #20  
MMagis, I also live in Guernsey County. Read Rd.:)

I'll be darned, small world. You probably had some dicey rides to work last month. :D It's been a while, but I remember some curves and hills that could get interesting in bad weather. I'm out on Boden Road, NW of town about 7 miles or so, off of 209.