Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle

/ Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
I posted this down in the construction forum but didn't get any response and hoped it might get a little more attention here in the main forums. I'm considering trying to purchase this '95 Foremost Nodwell 240 at auction. Haven't seen in it person but have talked to two individuals that have maintained and operated this machine. It's a one owner purchased new for $213,000, currently under 1000 hrs, 4 man cab, new tracks and growsers, well maintained w/records, all manuals, stake sides and jump seats come with it as well as a few new spare parts. These are very heavy and appear well made, they seem to be popular in northern ( i.e. frozen) regions and with utility companies but I don't have any personal experience with one.

Looking for opinions/input from anyone that's been around or operated one (or any of the other Foremost models) concerning quality, durability, weak points etc? If the price is right and I don't find anything too concerning with this model, I am probably going to bid on it. Unfortunately, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of info online so any thoughts or information would be much appreciated.
Basic specs per Foremost website: Foremost Nodwell Series

Maximum Payload: 32,000 lb (14,550 kg)
Tare: 26,000 lbs (11,800 kg)
GVW: 58,000 lbs (26,350 kg)
Ground Pressure: 4.7 psi (32.1 kPa)*
Maximum Speed: 7 mph (11.3 km/h)
Power @ 2200 rpm: 240 HP (179 kW)
Length: 24' 3" (7.39 m) Width: 10' (3.05 m) Height: 10' 4" (3.15 m) *6" (150 mm) penetration @ max load

Attachments

• foremost.jpg
    foremost.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,078
   / Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle #2  
Looks like tons of fun. Have you considered how you will transport this monster? From the weight and the logistics of loading/unloading it looks like you'd need a semi with a lowboy trailer.

/ Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle #3  
What are you going to do with it? Tracked rigs are generally high-maintenance, unless it's for show. With a 16 ton payload, this is made for serious work. 1000 hours isn't too much, though I imagine replacing tracks, grousers is pretty pricy. That said, I know nothing about this rig and will be interested in this thread.
Jim

/ Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle #4  
If you have a need for it then go for it. I'd be a little worried about finding parts etc, when it does need a reapair. Have you owned a tracked vehicle before? If not then you may be in for a surprise, these machines can get very pricy when it comes time for maintenance. Baby Grand also makes a good point, how do you plan on moving it? This will require a B I G setup for transportation.

/ Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle #5  
Baby Grand also makes a good point, how do you plan on moving it? This will require a B I G setup for transportation.

At 10' wide you will need a wide load permit to transport it...

Aaron Z

/ Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle
Yes on the lowboy and WL permit...not cheap but part of the deal that has to be taken into account. As some might have suspected, this wouldn't be for personal use. I am interested in making the purchase primarily for resale but am not ruling out leasing it. Current hourly rate for this machine appears to be $120-130 hr. for forest fire service and I have an good friend that has a contact interested in leasing for $6000 month for pipe line use ( which makes for a short break even point) so I feel like I have some options.

This isn't something you put in the classifieds of the town Gazette and expect to sell, in fact it is reasonable to expect that it may find a home in another country or continent. It is 99.9% chance that a buyer is going to have to ship this anyway so I will first attempt to sell it and leave any serious transporting to them. The first matter of business is locating a place to store it for 3-12 months close enough to where it sits that a short move is all that is required or best case scenario, a semi doesn't have to be involved at all ( I've had some luck doing this before). I would prefer to sell than lease out so I plan on first using the N.America equipment auction sites or possibly a broker, if no quick bites then Foremost has a program that will list the machine through their corporation and this particular one is very unusual in terms of hours and condition so I think it will move. I am obviously considering this to be an investment. I do have a good idea of it's market value and know exactly what I am willing to spend and that leaves a lot of room for some expenses and price negotiation.

The new tracks and grousers were due to the owner admitting that they didn't spec the machine out properly before buying it and one track was torn by repeatedly driving over 24"-30" trees while loaded and attempting to push heavy material while driving over some large stumps. They decided to replace both sides and drive sprockets while it was down as a preventative measure(yes, this is a machine owned by an entity who doesn't mind spending money). When this occurred, they just bought a new machine that better fit their needs and parked this one. As far as parts, this is considered a current model and Foremost is a Canadian company that has 24hr parts, service and technical help available. Cheap? No, but I really don't plan on being the one paying for future parts/service and if it works out that way, that will be taken into consideration.

Auction closes today and current bid is right in the ball park for my high dollar, so I have some soul searching to do. This isn't the first time I've been down this road, if it goes over my comfort zone, then no harm done. I look for things like this constantly and these unusual deals come around from time to time. I appreciate the replies, would still like to hear about any personal experience with a Foremost.

/ Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle #7  
That is a cool machine. If you get it, send us more pictures, etc.

Being and auction adict myself, I'll caution you to be conservative. This is especially true if you are planning to resell. I hate it when something goes for very close to my high dollar mark. I'd rather it sell for half again what I wanted to pay than to go for a dollar over my max. Of course, best case scenario is that it sells for cheap and I get a steal.

/ Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle
Being and auction adict myself, I'll caution you to be conservative. This is especially true if you are planning to resell. I hate it when something goes for very close to my high dollar mark. I'd rather it sell for half again what I wanted to pay than to go for a dollar over my max. Of course, best case scenario is that it sells for cheap and I get a steal.

This is pretty much how I feel. My wife and I always decide exactly how much we are willing to spend before I bid and refuse to get caught up in emotional bidding. It ended up selling for exactly what I was willing to pay...$30,000. Unfortunately, the other bidder had placed it first, knocking me out. I stuck to my plan and let it go, I strongly suspect that bidding probably would have continued if I had jumped in at $31,000 and this is the type of situation I try to avoid. I believe low dollar on this machine is about $50,000 and could go as high as $70,000 if sold through Foremost or a good broker. I think someone got a steal and maybe I should have been willing to go higher but my philosophy has never left me hanging and I know from past experience that when you compromise or let emotions start ruling, it opens the window to get burned. There will be another deal down the road. This one was cool and unusual but I have to admit that I feel more comfortable dealing with something more mainstream.

/ Foremost Nodwell 240 tracked vehicle #10  
I operated Nodwell 110s and up for years conducting Seismic Surveys along the North Slope of Alaska and out in the Arctic Ocean and Beaufort Sea. What type of questions did you have? Most eventually went to auction and were replaced with the lower impact Rolligon vehicles which I thought to be much more maintenance intensive. They were pretty much unstoppable and would traverse muskegs that would stick most other tracked vehicles.