old hayfield

/ old hayfield #1  

Anonymous Poster

My wife's family ownes 10 or so acres in NY. Last year wer rented a Kubota B21 and 4' rotary to keep the field open. But it took 12 hours
and cost over $400.

Buddy of mine is looking at the small Kubota compacts and I have seen the
ad's for the commercial ZD21 landscape mowers.

I'd like something even bigger, like an 8' brush hog but would a ZD21 do a good job cutting a hay field once a year ? Yes the ZD21 is pricey but that is a different issue.

/ old hayfield #2  
Sounds like an exercise in frustration to me. I've never seen a lawn mower of any type that could take on 3'-4' high stalks with any kind of speed. As for tractors, I can mow our 20 acres (m/l) in 6-8 hours if its 2' high or so with our 5ft bush hog cutter. If its higher, It takes 1.5 days.

/ old hayfield #3  
In my opinion you would be making a mistake and be disappointed with the ZD21 in that setting. I can understand why it became frustrating mowing with a B21 on 10 acres. I have a B21 and it only has 13 pto hp which is on the low side for once a year mowing. The ZD21 is designed for finish mowing and I think you would have a harder time than you did with the B21 mowing once a year.

If it were me, I would look for a place that rents a tractor in the 30 hp range and has a 6’ rotary mower. Down here you need to mow at least twice a year or you will make it much harder.

Another thing to look for is some one that does mowing in the area. Here you could get 10 acres mowed for much less than $400.

MarkV

/ old hayfield #4  
I agree don't even attempt this with a ZD21 or any other finish mower. You need a rotary mower.

/ old hayfield #5  
Forget the ZD21, not a chance. 10 acres with 6 FT brush cutter = 4-5 hours, wher in NY, if close to me I may let you run one of our Kubotas

/ old hayfield
I have 2 scenarios.

First is my own home (in MA) which takes to long to cut. So I am researching bigger machines.

Second is the field in Lexington NY (in the catskills 15 minutes west or south (?) of the Hunter Mtn ski area). Either I find a machine to do both or some old-iron for the field in NY. I don't want to spend $10k on a machine to be used once a year either. Will pick up a WantAd next time we are in Albany.

I see Ford 8N's with a brush hog in my local want ad for $2500, but I think I would be happier with more horsepower.