Mowing Cleaning mower deck

/ Cleaning mower deck #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I am in the process of cleaning off the underside of my mowing deck today.. I should have done it in the fall, but it never got done..

Any suggestions to make cleaning easier (ie chemicals)? I have used the pressure washer and it take a lot of the stuff off.. But there are areas that really need scraping (i use a gasket scraper).. but even with the scraper it is really stuck on there..

BTW - I have coated the deck several times with Slip Plate - but there are areas that will not hold it.. They are back down to bare metal again.. Has anyone been able to keep the underside of the deck totally coated w/ slip plate or similar?

thanks

Brian

/ Cleaning mower deck #2  
Try a wire brush wheel in a cordless drill, or side grinder.

/ Cleaning mower deck #3  
A 4000 psi power washer will strip just about anything. Failing that, let the dried gunk soak up some water. It will loosen itself as it expands then hit it with whatever power washer you have. Turning the mower upside down to act as a bowl will allow it to soak overnight. Maybe a bit of dishwashing detergent would be helpful with the soak. If you don't like suds then the soap for an automatic dishwasher would work.

I'm guessing that you are suspending the mower from the FEL so it can be easily accessed. That way the power washer's nozzle can be held an inch from the gunk and the full power is available.

For the coating, there are those that swear by Fluid Film. It is a wax-like substance that is easy to apply by paint brush or by using their specially designed air-powered sprayer.

/ Cleaning mower deck #4  
be careful with using a power washer around greased 'joints', best to regrease after the clean of course.

/ Cleaning mower deck #5  
I use side grinder w/wire brush plus 1" putty knife,than soapy wash down dry spray WD40 end of mowing season.

/ Cleaning mower deck #6  
I use one of those handheld garden shovel things for getting the caked on stuff off. 3 years and almost none of the original paint is left on there. I will repaint this year.

/ Cleaning mower deck #7  
I find that using it to grind up 1 inch and smaller branches works pretty good at taking out the old grass. Branches need to be very dry. It doesn't seen to hurt the blade. 6 foot mower, 38 horse tractor. Just make sure no one or the dog is near by.

Last edited:
   / Cleaning mower deck
be careful with using a power washer around greased 'joints', best to regrease after the clean of course.

Thanks for the tip, but I figured that out yesterday by accident.. After I stopped washing I went ahead and greased it.. I was shocked when there was water coming out of the bottom of the spindles (where the blade mount).. I pumped extra grease in there to make sure it pushed all the water out then wiped off the extra grease..

brian

/ Cleaning mower deck
thanks for the other tips.. I think one of my problems is that my pressure washer does not have enough pressure (residential type unit)..

Ill keep plugging away at it and try your tips

thanks

b

/ Cleaning mower deck #10  
I use a 2" plastic putty knife to clean mine off with the MMM mounted. Works nice and doesn't rip the paint off.