Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2002 New Holland TC40S

Default Re: Discount at Lowe's

Ironically, this morning I went into Lowe's and bought a $398.00 rear wheel drive brush lawnmower not knowing about the Veteran discount. Got home, fired it up, fussed around with a few other projects and later on opened up TBN to find this post. I downloaded the linked text and in the language is stated "Excluded from the discount are sales via Lowes.com. previous sales and purchases of services or gift cards".
    Thought I was a dead duck due to the "previous" part of the statement (all of four hours previous) so I called the store and was told to bring my receipt and proof of military experience, in my case it would be my wallet card Veterans Universal Access Identification card or my DD-214. Take it to the returns desk and they "will be happy to refund me $39.80!"
    Do it vets-we have earned it. Thank you Lowe's.
    Last edited by nickel plate; 03-12-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Bad math

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 2320

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    I always thought that you had to have 180 days of continuous active duty to be considered for veteran's benefits.
    Indeed it is/was 180 days for benefits. The army was very careful to make sure our active duty ( boot + advanced training ) ended before that. Mine ended exactly at 179 days . I hope nobody gets me wrong here. I ain 't whinin' about benefits. I don 't need them or want them, and don 't feel cheated by not gettin' them. I was more curious as to how places like Lowes define veteran. Sorry for kinda side trackin' the thread .

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti CK20 & 1981 Iseki TU1700

The Lowes near Fort Lee/Petersburg, VA has been giving the 10% discount since they opened in 2009. The HD up the road only gives on 4th of Jul and Veterans Day. So all my business goes to the Lowes even if I end up paying more. Serving 180 consecutive days will qualify you as a veteran but does not allow you to carry a military ID card (even though you could be eligible for some veteran benefits). Those are normally reserved for veterans who have served for 20 years and are eligible for retirement benefits.

Eddie
    08 Dodge (Cummins) 2500, 2007 Kioti CK20, FEL, Finish Mower, 4' Howse Bush Hog, Landscape Rake, 52" Woods Tiller, 5' Rear Blade, 4' Box Blade, 5 horses, 2 dogs, 1 fat cat, 1981 Iseki TU 1700 for grass mowing.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Indeed it is/was 180 days for benefits. The army was very careful to make sure our active duty ( boot + advanced training ) ended before that. Mine ended exactly at 179 days . I hope nobody gets me wrong here. I ain 't whinin' about benefits. I don 't need them or want them, and don 't feel cheated by not gettin' them. I was more curious as to how places like Lowes define veteran. Sorry for kinda side trackin' the thread .
    According to the press release, in order to get the discount on any day of the year one must either be on active duty, in the reserves (and, I assume, the National Guard), retired or a disabled veteran. In other words, if you possess a military ID card (those 4 categories all receive them) you can claim the discount.

To receive the discount on Memorial Day, July 4th and Veterans Day, one need only be able to prove that they are or were in the military; with an ID Card, a DD214, or maybe by wearing a real cool flight jacket with lots of patches and a pair of ray-bans.

Tractor
    YM1610d

Of my 37 yrs.working for uncle sam ,3 in the army and 34 for the v.a. I took care of many a "vet" with less than 6 months in. they told us in boot that you had to serve at least 180days to be eligable for va benifits.not true.I remember one guy that didn't make it a day and he was in and out of the va getting more treatment than real vets.I could go on but you get the story. dang I just got back from lowes then I read this. russ

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    tc- 29d

I just wanted to say "thanks" to all you vets. We would not have a LOWES , if not for the veterns of this great USA.

I also think that what LOWES is doing is one of the nicest gestures it could do.
    dqdave1; tc-29D; woods 7500 bh; 7308 fel, land pride tiller, land pride rake, gill pulverizer, 60"mmm. , bucket forks , MZ16H

Quote Originally Posted by 3BPercherons View Post
    According to the press release, in order to get the discount on any day of the year one must either be on active duty, in the reserves (and, I assume, the National Guard), retired or a disabled veteran. In other words, if you possess a military ID card (those 4 categories all receive them) you can claim the discount.

To receive the discount on Memorial Day, July 4th and Veterans Day, one need only be able to prove that they are or were in the military; with an ID Card, a DD214, or maybe by wearing a real cool flight jacket with lots of patches and a pair of ray-bans.

My American Legion member card has my active service dates on it...wonder if that suffices?

Quote Originally Posted by mustangsallysdad View Post
    My American Legion member card has my active service dates on it...wonder if that suffices?
    I would certainly hope so. Although a clerk or two might need educated as to the membership criteria of the American Legion

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2002 New Holland TC40S

Quote Originally Posted by 6thgpSF View Post
    Of my 37 yrs.working for uncle sam ,3 in the army and 34 for the v.a. I took care of many a "vet" with less than 6 months in. they told us in boot that you had to serve at least 180days to be eligable for va benifits.not true.I remember one guy that didn't make it a day and he was in and out of the va getting more treatment than real vets.I could go on but you get the story. dang I just got back from lowes then I read this. russ
    Russ,
    Spin on your heals and take that receipt back to the Lowe's return desk, have a military credential in hand and they will give you a 10% refund. I did it this morning after reading this post after purchasing a lawn mower the day before. I then bought about another $50.00 worth of stuff and at the checkout counter and presenting my same Veteran's ID they swished off the 10%. Nice.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

I went to Lowes yesterday and bought about $50 worth of stuff. I showed my US Navy retired ID and got the 10% discount. On the way home, my wife and I stopped in a restaurant and had dinner. The discount paid the tip. Can't complain about that. . .
    Jim

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast