stalling mystery

/ stalling mystery #1  

Martyappleseed

Tractor
MF 1428v
I just bought a used MF 1428, a compact 3cyl diesel. 200 hours. It will run strong for about one hour and then quit. It will restart easy but stall immediately when I put it into gear even with the clutch disengaged. I've bled the fuel lines and cleaned out the fuel bowl but it happened again. Any ideas?:confused:

/ stalling mystery #2  
Have you tried replacing the fuel filter and the air filter. One or both may be dirty and blocking flow or air or fuel. If it starts and runs fine for an hour then I wouldn't think its an electrical problem. Sounds more like an air or fuel restriction. One other thing to check is for water (either rain or condensation) that may have got into the fuel tank.

/ stalling mystery #3  
I agree with George ...you may have to replace the fuel filter or clean it several times if there is a lot of debris in the fuel tank. Your fuel flow is being restricted and after it sits awhile fuel slowly flows and once you start it and put a load on the engine the demand for fuel exceeds the supply so look for a blockage and most likely in the fuel filter..

/ stalling mystery #4  
I just bought a used MF 1428, a compact 3cyl diesel. 200 hours. It will run strong for about one hour and then quit. It will restart easy but stall immediately when I put it into gear even with the clutch disengaged. I've bled the fuel lines and cleaned out the fuel bowl but it happened again. Any ideas?:confused:

There's a screen in the tank above the tank valve. Crud from the tank can plug that.

/ stalling mystery #6  
any time I see an unloaded diesel stall or fail to make rpms, or start/stall and there is no black smoke, i think fuel obstruction.

check from right out of the tank.

soundguy

/ stalling mystery #7  
Don't overlook the fuel cap vent. If vent is stopped up it would run about a hour then stop.

/ stalling mystery #8  
I'm currently have the exact problem.

If the fuel cap is the cause, would hot and cool weather make a difference?
I don't remember stalling when i was using it during less than 80 degrees weather. Now that it's above 95 degrees, it's happening more often.

Today it happened again. Right after it stalled, I tried restarting but it would not start. I then opened the fuel cap and close it again. Then I restarted the engine and it ran fine.

Tomorrow, I'm going to open the fuel cap before working on the tractor. After 30 minutes i'm going to open the fuel cap again. If it doesn't stall after an hour, then I would assume the fuel cap is the cause!?????:thumbsup:

/ stalling mystery #9  
sounds like time for a vented cap!

soundguy

/ stalling mystery #10  
I don't think it's the vented cap after today.
Again, it stalled but this time it didn't start up again until I vented the fuel system. It would run for a bout 30 minutes then stalled ....then I had to vent the system again by manually engaging the fuel lift pump (lever operated).

any ideas guys? I'm going out of my mind.....