A Battery Rejuvenator

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #61  
Dammist thing I ever saw it was. I guess the fellow who posted about not putting a battery in the mikrowave had his head on straight allright.

I was ponderin on trying it myself with the little battery from the tractor, sort of screwing up my courage against what I didn't know for sure and what I read when the little woman stepped out to the patio to ask if I could drive over to the truckstop and fetch her sister back home cause the sister's car wasn't cranking up. Sister's been real skittish about hookin a ride with any of them truckers for quite a while now, my hunch is one of them fellows tried getting Sister in his sleeper cab for some sort of unwanted nap, but Sis won't say, at least not to me. Well, I sort of serve as transport and fetchin in this family, so I jump in my pickup and head off to the truckstop.

Don't I get there to find Sis sitting at the counter waiting, her battery is dead and at least 5 truckdrivers are buzzing around her offering to give her a jump. Sis buys me pie and coffee for coming to her rescue, and we're sitting there talking when Rodney the mechanic wanders in from the shop where he works on his 67 ElCamino after hours and we strike up a conversation. Sis tells him about her dead battery and he points out the dang battery is under her back seat and since her car looks like she lives in there he ain't even trying to get to the battery unless she unloads her belongings. Next thing she's out there loading her posessions into Pablo the grill man's van, that boy definitely lives in that van, but Sis finds room.

Meanwhile Rodney and I are discussing batterys and bringing them back alive, and I mention mikrowave ovens. Well Rodney says he started recharging flashlight batterys in one years back and even transistor radio batterys, and he's had pretty good luck with them rechargables from electric drills when they go bad. He don't see any reason it shouldn't work for a car battery. I mention this thread on TBN, and one of the truckers brings it up on his laptop and ol Rodney looks it over and says Bullfeathers. He quit cussin when his wife joined the Church, and now he has a whole list of substitutes for the blue language he used back in the old days, tell you some days when he's runnin up a blue storm of them substicusses it's funnier than Abbot & Costello.

Long story made short Rodney goes out to Sis's car, and takes the battery out from under the seat right where he said it would be, and carrys it right into the kitchen. He set it on the dishwasher loading ramp and hosed it down real good, and then he & Pablo stick that battery right in the gigantic mikrowave that's all stainless steel and have a little discussion onhow long to cook it. Pablo pushes the buttons on the oven and him and Rodney stand there talking away. I can see all this from the stool I'm sitting on looking at that trucker's laptop and swapping lies the way fellows do at truckstops. They got a thing called WiFi over there at the truckstop so drivers can get on the internet. I tell you that's a lot nicer than the days when you could just call home long distance. Them long distance bills added up quick.

Sis is waiting to see if her battery is going to come back alive or if she's gotta spend her tips on a new battery, and I'm wondering myself how things are going to work out when the front door of that mikrowave came right thru the wall of the kitchen about a foot right of the opening where the girls grab their orders. I swear I saw that door before I heard the bang. I look over and was I glad to see none of the waitresses were standing where that wall used to be. The Bunn coffeecenter took one heck of a hit though, and was now half off the counter with water squirting out of the pipe that used to be hooked to it. There was also one heck of a steam cloud coming from the order pickup hole in the wall. Right off I holler for Rodney and Pablo, I was afraid one of them might have been hurt, but they both answered up and were fine. That steam cloud really looked angry though. They both came out of the kitchen and decided they might best head ovcer to the showers to get all the stuff off them since they both felt like the battery juice was eating their skin as it soaked thru their clothes. Some scrawney driver freaked out and dialed 911 on his celphone, and we all knew it was just a matter of time till the volunteers and the Sheriff showed up.

I went back behind the counter and shut the valve for the Bunn Coffee machine and looked thru the service hole to see how bad the kitchen was. Just from the looks of the mikrowave I told Sis I figured she needed a new battery. I remembered reading you should sprinkle baking soda all around after a battery exploded and went to looking for some, but all I could find was cornstarch, so I figured couldn't hurt, and sprinkled that in the mikrowave and where the door came to rest. That pretty much was all I could do till the Volunteers arrived. When Pablo heard the Sheriff was coming he lit out in that van he lives in with all of Sis's car stuff in it. A few minutes later it sounded for all the world like a siren symphoney coming from all directions as the volunteers showed up in them special clothes they all wear to fires. Of course there weren't any fire, and by then most of the steam had settled. They propped the front door open and opened up the kitchen door and stuck that giant capacity fan in there and sucked all kinds of stuff out of the kitchen, most of which I don't personally think was battery cause when they left I went in the kitchen looking for myself. I found a couple chunks of black plastic that might have been battery, but I didn't find anything metal that looked like it might have been battery. Sheriff Bob shagged me out of the kitchen, said the State Crime Lab guys would need to be processing the crime scene. I figured best tell Bob what the big blowup had been, and he cancelled the crime lab fellows. Bob seemed a little depressed cause he wanted to use that yellow tape he carrys and tape the truckstop off.

I loaded Sis in the pickup and fetched her over to the trailerhouse she lives in, and Pablo was there waiting for her. I have no idea why he took off when the Sheriff was coming, but when he realized he had Sis's goods in his van he went right to her trailer and waited for her. I went back by the truckstop today, and the choke & puke part is closed up for a while, but the shop and fuel islands are still open along with the showers. The fellow who owns it is pretty upset with Rodney, and I got a hunch Pablo will be needing a new job. Rodney says his ears are ringing real good, and he's coughing quite a bit too. Owner said there wasn't any problem with Sis's car sitting there till she gets a new battery, so we went over to Walmart looking for one. They got good deals at Walmart, but you gotta trade in a battery to buy a new battery, and I didn't find enough of Sis's battery to trade in. I'm wondering if they'll take my tractor batter in on trade.

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #62  
With all due respect to those that know, but to the idiot that suggest that a microwave will do wonders for a battery, gets no respects. I believe everyone knows that you can put some metal in the microwave, but have to use common sense. As far as a battery in the microwave, just a total dumb a** for even suggesting such a thing. That is about as stupid as someone putting their cat in the microwave to dry it. Of course the cat died. Not only are you going to generate hydrogen gas, but the metal in there is going to arc and spark, and something is going to blow up. It sounds like it did that and a lot more.

Yep, old Rodney is definitely liable for the damages. He may not use cuss words, but everybody in there probably did

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #63  
Dammist thing I ever saw it was. I guess the fellow who posted about not putting a battery in the mikrowave had his head on straight allright.

I was ponderin on trying it myself with the little battery from the tractor, sort of screwing up my courage against what I didn't know for sure and what I read when the little woman stepped out to the patio to ask if I could drive over to the truckstop and fetch her sister back home cause the sister's car wasn't cranking up...

Meanwhile Rodney and I are discussing batterys and bringing them back alive, and I mention mikrowave ovens. Well Rodney says he started recharging flashlight batterys in one years back and even transistor radio batterys, and he's had pretty good luck with them rechargables from electric drills when they go bad. He don't see any reason it shouldn't work for a car battery...

Long story made short Rodney goes out to Sis's car, and takes the battery out from under the seat right where he said it would be, and carrys it right into the kitchen. He set it on the dishwasher loading ramp and hosed it down real good, and then he & Pablo stick that battery right in the gigantic mikrowave that's all stainless steel and have a little discussion onhow long to cook it. Pablo pushes the buttons on the oven and him and Rodney stand there talking away...

Sis is waiting to see if her battery is going to come back alive or if she's gotta spend her tips on a new battery, and I'm wondering myself how things are going to work out when the front door of that mikrowave came right thru the wall of the kitchen about a foot right of the opening where the girls grab their orders...

I guess it was a good thing that you didn't try it at home. You might have had some explaining to do to the misses.

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #64  
Well, this circuit is not my own. It was posted on an aviation website and I copied it. The person that posted it had used it often. Others had used it. I just made one and it seemed to work for me. I have used it often too. Since posting this the negative side of it has emerged. So I am using it with caution based on the info here and on the other thread.

I did add a fuse today. First I used 1/2 amp fast acting fuse. It blew as I plugged it in. I then put in 1.5 amp and that worked. I use this in a well ventilated area and now outside the shop.

I will probably just retire it after reading here and on the other side. Maybe not a good idea after all.

Don't tell anyone but this is almost exactly the circuit some electric razors I have tore apart charged the battery. Only difference instead of the light bulbs for current limiting they used a resistor. The advantage to the bulbs is as the current increases they get hot and tend to limit run away current. So for those that are so scared don't ever use an older electric shaver..

Some of them had a capacitor in series with the resistor and diode. I suspect but don't know this was an attempt to eliminate some of the danger from not using a transformer. A 1: isolation transformer would make the whole thing safer I think. I think the shock hazard is of more concern than the diode shorrting and placing AC on the battery..

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #65  
With all due respect to those that know, but to the idiot that suggest that a microwave will do wonders for a battery, gets no respects. I believe everyone knows that you can put some metal in the microwave, but have to use common sense. As far as a battery in the microwave, just a total dumb a** for even suggesting such a thing. That is about as stupid as someone putting their cat in the microwave to dry it.

JJ, you've been suckered :p. This person is obviously just trolling, but his attempt at humor is suggesting extremely dangerous activities :shocked::thumbdown:

I suggest his posts about microwaving batteries be removed before someone gets seriously injured.

The homemade circuit above may be dangerous or risky, but folks are discussing that issue and the reasons why it can be risky.

But the other suggestions about microwaving batteries is absolutely absurd and irresponsible.

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #66  
JJ, you've been suckered :p. This person is obviously just trolling, but his attempt at humor is suggesting extremely dangerous activities :shocked::thumbdown:

I suggest his posts about microwaving batteries be removed before someone gets seriously injured.

The homemade circuit above may be dangerous or risky, but folks are discussing that issue and the reasons why it can be risky.

But the other suggestions about microwaving batteries is absolutely absurd and irresponsible.

It was quite obvious to me that the original post was a joke. And for those that didn't get it, he posted the "results" of microwaving the battery.

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #67  
It was quite obvious to me that the original post was a joke. And for those that didn't get it, he posted the "results" of microwaving the battery.

John,

I appreciate your comment. But we must keep in mind that not everyone is electrically savvy, and not everyone reads the entire thread.

Written words have a way of being misunderstood, especially when you can't see the person grinning (emoticons help, but aren't a guarantee).

And, just for the record, I know of folks who have done things that foolish. Not a microwaved battery, but other things that defy even the most basic electrical safety guidelines. ;)

Have a good one!

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #68  
Dammist thing I ever saw it was. I guess the fellow who posted about not putting a battery in the mikrowave had his head on straight allright. ..............<snip the rest>
I'm wondering if they'll take my tractor batter in on trade.

"(removed)",

That story is about the funniest **** thing I've read in a long while. Laughed my *** off. Going to have to print that out to share with a couple of mechanics at the bus garage.

Regardless of what you do with tractors you should consider writing as a career. Great writing. With all the sub plots, you could build a movie script around that scene.

I promise, *I WILL NOT* put any batteries in a microwave ;' >

Thanks !,
Dennis

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #69  
Dammist thing I ever saw it was. I guess the fellow who posted about not putting a battery in the mikrowave had his head on straight allright. ..............<snip the rest>
I'm wondering if they'll take my tractor batter in on trade.

"(removed)",

That story is about the funniest **** thing I've read in a long while. Laughed my *** off. Going to have to print that out to share with a couple of mechanics at the bus garage.

Regardless of what you do with tractors you should consider writing as a career. Great writing. With all the sub plots, you could build a movie script around that scene.

I promise, *I WILL NOT* put any batteries in a microwave ;' >

Thanks !,
Dennis

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #70  
Now to the heart of the matter. I have to admit I was very skeptical when I first saw this charger. But, to me it was worth a try. I am sure many are wondering what is this magical device. Well, it is a simple device that many can fabricate with material at home. The only special part you need to buy is a 3 amp diode. I purchased mine at Radio Shack PN 276-1144. Actually 2 diodes for $1.59.

3-Amp Barrel Diodes - RadioShack.com

The rest is just an extension cord, a 3 or 4 outlet adapter and 100W light bulbs. You cut one leg of the extension cord, add the diode and alligator clips and you are done. When I soldered my diode and wire I used an alligator clip as a heat sink on the diode. Note that when using the charger, the light bulbs will not light as they normally do. They light with a lower intensity.

The first picture is the schematic. Note that the diode has to be installed with correct polarity. The diode has a silver band on one end. This end goes toward the battery. That is it. For each 100W light bulb you get about .45 amps flowing thru the battery. Just leave it on long enough to get the electrolyte back to full strength. This may take days depending on battery condition. During my first use, I only turned it on while I was working around the shop. I just wanted to monitor it. During the last few times I used it I just let it charge 24 hours.

The second picture shows the diode, the heart of the rejuvenator.

In the third picture you will see my jury rigged charger in use. I never got it finished before a friend found out and had to borrow it. The last picture shows my final setup. I am going to buy 2 more light bulb adaptors and keep it as a set. I may make another charger with the second, spare, diode that I have.

Again, I don't understand how this thing works but I am a believer that it does the job.

Make one and try it out for yourself.

And again heed the warning about working with 120 volts.

I hope this is all clear but if not let me know.

Comments are now welcomed.

As a side note, I just want to post some info on a products that I use for coating the battery terminals and restoring battery boxes. This is just for information.

I use Dow Corning DC-4 to coat the terminals. It seems to work really well. I also use it on oil filter gaskets to keep them from sticking.

DOW CORNING DC-4 COMPOUND from Aircraft Spruce

I use aircraft battery box paint to restore the battery boxes. I also use it on the battery hold down brackets. Just thought I would share

RANDOLPH ACID PROOF BATTERY BOX BLACK PAINT #345 from Aircraft Spruce
I have read this thread with interest. I live in New Zealand. We have 230V wiring. Does this change the circuit I need to build, or the diodes I need? Thanks.