A Battery Rejuvenator

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #81  
Must be that time of year again, lol, I loved the story of the battery in the microwave, priceless.

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #82  
I was browsing last week and saw the Battery Rejuvenator thread and found it very interesting. After going thru most of the replies I'm going to have to say to ETpilot, don't listen to the NAY-SAYERS to this thread and keep working on this project. I've already gone and gathered up most of the components to build me one. We have about 6 to 8 old batteries laying around the shop, if I can get just a couple of them to work I'll be money ahead. I'll let everyone know ASAP.

Thanks again, ETpilot Tom.

PS. the story about the Nuked battery was hillarious, as my Grandma used to say, "He shore can spin a yarn".

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #83  
I was browsing last week and saw the Battery Rejuvenator thread and found it very interesting. After going thru most of the replies I'm going to have to say to ETpilot, don't listen to the NAY-SAYERS to this thread and keep working on this project. I've already gone and gathered up most of the components to build me one. We have about 6 to 8 old batteries laying around the shop, if I can get just a couple of them to work I'll be money ahead. I'll let everyone know ASAP.

Thanks again, ETpilot

PS. the story about the Nuked battery was hillarious, as my Grandma used to say, "He shore can spin a yarn".

Tom.

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #84  

Thanks again, ETpilot Tom.

Hey don't let the negative wave get you down work with the positive;)

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #85  
I've been desulfating batteries for about three years. I use two battery chargers/desulfators. Eventually the sulfur will go back into solution and increase the strength of the acid. The first battery I worked on seemed to take forever to hold a charge over 13V. I like to see the battery hold a charge around 13.4V. I use both a hydrometer and a load meter to test the batteries. I'm currently working on a 6+ year old Interstate battery. It has one cell that's weak. I'm watching to see if it eventually comes up.

If any of the cells are physically damaged, the battery is shot.

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #86  
I have a 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid which uses a Small Battery. It recently began to discharge quick so I did an internet search on Battery Restoring and came across this article. I Found it very interesting. Another site I found has a differnt charger that some might find of interest,
The Do-It-Yourself World - Restore Lead Acid Batteries which describes the Bedini Charger for charging Lead Acid Batteries.
I'd recommend is to add some liquified epsom salt or even better sodium sulfate before doing the charging which will help to rejuvinate the liquid acid. Formula is 1 grams of salt per 200 milliliter of water.

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #87  
I've got an older Vector charger/desulfator that I use alternately with a Battery Minder unit. Black and Decker now owns Vector. I do not add anything to the cells except for distilled water if necessary to bring the electrolyte level up. Like the article you referenced I've noticed I can get more voltage out of an older battery. I have a new Exide on the bench that goes to 12.9V. A 6+ year old Diehard will go to 13.4V. The proof lies in the load testing. Once the battery is restored so that it passes a load test it's good to go.

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #88  
I was browsing last week and saw the Battery Rejuvenator thread and found it very interesting. After going thru most of the replies I'm going to have to say to ETpilot, don't listen to the NAY-SAYERS to this thread and keep working on this project.QUOTE]

I Agree and another good source of info is the Battery Book "Rebuilding Lead Acid Batteries: Chapter 11 at Troubled Times Troubled Times: Rebuilding Lead Acid Batteries or http://www.zetatalk.com/energy/Rebuilding%20Lead-Acid%20Batteries%201922-Witte.pdf

:)

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #89  
Neat project, and a nice simple circuit. There are chargers that come with this feature - I believe they are called desulferators. Though your setup is much less expensive.

A question for you. Instead of having a separate extension cord, why not put the diode and alligator clips right in the line on the 3-way adapter?

One other suggestion: if you put the diode part reference number on your schematic diagram, that one diagram would give every one all they need to build the circuit:
"1N5404 3 amp barrel diode, Radio Shack part #276-1144"
I am wondering why I can't just use a wire wound resistor? And do I measure the cold bulbs and use a resistor of the same ohm reading and at least 3 amps?

/ A Battery Rejuvenator #90  
I am wondering why I can't just use a wire wound resistor? And do I measure the cold bulbs and use a resistor of the same ohm reading and at least 3 amps?

Why do you want to put a resistor in this circuit?
Buy the cheap diode.
1N5404 3 amp barrel diode, Radio Shack part #276-1144