RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE?

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #1  

JRP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800
I have a Kubota M6800 that has a curve at the top of the exhaust. The tractor is too tall to fit in out garage. Will it hurt the tractor when rain gets in the exhaust pipe.

Jim Poux

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #2  
I would recommend putting a can or something over the exaust to prevent rain from entering.
It may not get in with a curved exaust,but it can cause problems if it does!

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #3  
I agree. I use an old coffee can on mine.

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #4  
The the old farmers trick of putting a can over the exhaust pipe. On my old Kubota, I cut the exhaust off flush and added one of those flapper caps that close themselves when you shut down the engine. Usually it will just rust out the bottom of your exhaust pipe, where it 90's into the manifold. And if it gets really full it might be hard on your exhaust valve seats when you start it.

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #5  
My exhaust manifold has a little hole at the bottom to let the rain out so they tell me.

Well when I got a new one made they also drilled a hole in it !!

But yes I have 2 words of advice "Tin Can"

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #6  
I added a flapper to my tractors as well. Seems that would be a standard option from the dealer.. but then I guess they are into selling parts.....

Soundguy

"cut the exhaust off flush and added one of those flapper caps that close themselves when you shut down the engine"

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #7  
A good reason to put a flapper or tin can on the exhaust, (from first hand experience), is when it does rain in the exhaust and you fire it up before it dries, what ever soot might be in the pipe mixed with the rain can come spewing out (if the wind is right) and do a really good job of making you look like you got black chicken pox. Also turns that nice orange color a shade darker.

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #8  
Yep Mike, my neighbor started his NH1920 after a good rain and made a sooty, oily, mess of himself. He looked like pigpen from the Charlie Brown comic. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #9  
If mine set outside, I would put a can over the pipe. However, I can't help but look at all the tractors that sit out year round with no protection and no problems. Even the dealers let them sit on their lots for months with no cover. Apparently there is no concern from the dealers or manufacturers about water down the pipe.

/ RAIN IN THE EXHAUST PIPE? #10  
We always used to put a can on top of our Farmall A and John Deere B tractors on the farm where I grew up. It was fun to leave the can on Old John and start it up and watch the can go over 5 feet in the air!