looking for other broken tc30's

/ looking for other broken tc30's #11  
I can't remember the details, so I would direct you to do some searching here and in the NH threads, but I remember a gentleman for New Hampshire having his NH crack like this. He was carrying a very large snow-blower while scraping his drive with the loader. I believe NH helped him with the repair (a new block I think), and I think there may have been an issue with loose fasteners. The prognosis here on TBN started as a tractor fault and then operator error I think. Maybe that member can chime in and give the actual facts instead of my hazy and possibly distorted memories...

Unfortunately, this is always going to be possible when equipment is hard mounted to cast iron components. Impact shock is easily transmitted and cast iron is very brittle. I see many manufactures are going to the post mount loaders that do not have any linkage to the front of the tractor. I wonder if this allows the loader mounts to flex a little and absorb the damaging shock?

You mentioned digging a culvert with the machine and your backhoe is subframe mounted. Did the you snag something while digging enough to raise the frontend? Did it break loose and let the frontend of the tractor fall? I seem to remember someone stating that this is a likely cause of tractor /backhoe breakage.

/ looking for other broken tc30's #12  
This is a reason that I would look to buy a slightly used dedicated TLB or even more likely a mini excavator instead of putting a backhoe on my tractor. You figure a new subframe backhoe is close to $10,000 and even on the quickest of systems there's still a lot of stuff that needs to be done to change from the backhoe to other implements. A ligthly used TLB or mini excavator can be had for not that much more, to maybe even double, and you'll end up with a purpose built machine for that task. I've seen a bunch of almost new mini excavators with around 250 hours or so for $20,000 and compact TLB's like the Kubotas have really come down in price. If I could ever justify a backhoe for myself I'd probably be able to justify a TLB or mini excavator purchase.

/ looking for other broken tc30's #13  
I don't know if it interchanges, but I have a TC29 that was burned if anyone wants to sell theirs.

Last edited:
   / looking for other broken tc30's #14  
Go to the New Holland Forums. Start with the last page first. I scanned through and found at least six threads on TCs broke like yours. I concluded that it is the nature of TCs to break. And I only browsed through the last third of the threads. If I had bought a TC new that was now broke, I would be throughly reviewing all the NH threads. Print out all of the relevant threads and give your dealer a call. Then go directly to NH. They designed it, make them stand behind it or buy back the tractor.

I have a 1910 that the previous owner thought was a bulldozer. The transmission is broke right above the clutch/brake cross shaft. The tractor that replaces it will be orange.

Are the backhoe and loader made by NH? If they were marketed as compatible equipment then you have a case, Does your tractor look beat and battered? I would guess it looks almost new, and not abused. Prepare your case thoroughly.

/ looking for other broken tc30's #15  
I used to run another tractor website. At that time the same person was comming back every few months and posting a new review under a different name, time and time again about breaking TC30's. Take what you read online with a grain of salt.

/ looking for other broken tc30's #16  
Was it the same tractor with the same background (buildings, trees, family dog) in each picture? Or was it different tractors, that had the same problem?

/ looking for other broken tc30's
hi guys havent posted in a while..but did take the time to read all the postings and just wanted to chime in..I replaced the clutch housing on my tc30 and rewelded the block twice. it lasted for a year and im about to reweld it. I like my tractor and i do use it hard. im not happy with the way that the implements are mounted and the cast parts are expected to take a lot of abuse. we have been throwing around the idea of making some bracing to absorb the energy away from the block and clutch housing but its not been a priority. it would have been nice if new holland would have offered any help but i was completley blown off. so i cant say anything nice about them or the way i was treated. i would still like to find another block to replace this one with but im not spending 2000.00 for a short block. my local dealership offered to do the complete repair for 8000.00 last year when it originaly broke.
so i just keep making repairs and payments and a lot of cussing.
mike

/ looking for other broken tc30's #18  
I guess I can now join the TC30 club as well. My TC30 block cracked on 6/10/2011 after spending $5.5K to replace the block and two days worth of work. The bell housing cracked this weekend 6/25/2011 while digging with the backhoe a hole to set a 4x4 post. Im expecting another $1.5k and two days tearing apart the machine.:mur::mur: 580hrs this should not be happening. I used my neighbors TC35 a few times with the same backhoe and there is a sub-frame on that machine to keep the stress off the block and bell housing... Bad design in my opinion or NH should not sell a backhoe attachment for this machine...

Last edited:
   / looking for other broken tc30's #19  
Pictures of the engine crack, will get pics of the bell housing this weekend. BTW its $1,200 for the housing for a hydrostat SBA32011115.

Attachments

• Crack.JPG
    Crack.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG00397.jpg
    IMG00397.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 379
   / looking for other broken tc30's #20  
My heart goes out to you guys with busted Very Expensive Iron. I've turn enough wrenches to understand what it takes to replace those parts. When I bought a new tractor I did not get the FEL or the BH. I've had to rent a dedicated Tractor Backhoe several times and have probably put out $1500 in rental over a four year period, but, still figure the rental money well spent. I don't know how many conversations I've had with people that ask me "How do you dig dirt without a FEL?". My answer is "I DON'T". The farm tractor FEL just doen't "Dig Dirt". bjr