Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tractor
    Kubota BX1800

Default Re: You guys have me worried

Well, put me in the camp who has never timed myself (or more specifically my wife) on how long it's takes to mow and we have 5 acres as well. We both enjoy being outside doing whatever, and don't see mowing as a chore. I had a JD 285 w/ a 50" deck, a very similar machine to the 260. Could have purchased another Deere L&G, but took the opportunity to get more usefullness out of a small CUT. Ended up with a BX, mostly because my wife does most of the mowing and she didn't like the stance of a B7500 or JD4100. Outfitted the BX w/ a 54" deck because it fits our property better than the 60".

So basically, I have replaced a very competent mowing machine (JD) , with about the same mowing capacities and more overall usefulness.

Jim

Tractor
    Yanmar 1500D

Takes me over 3 hrs to do about 2.5 acres with a 42" deck....and I am flying.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 5055D, JD 790 MFWD

Ok, I guess I am going to pee in the party punch, but if you guys are mowing at speeds any more than 3 MPH, you effectivly are "tearing" or knocking the grass down. I instruct my employees never to mow more than 1/2 the ground speed that the mower can move. For your suction deck to work properly, you need to move a little slower so the blades have a chance to clip the grass off, not tear or shread it. Doing this will stress the grass out, making the tips turn yellow, or brown. Just my two cents worth.

Dave

Tractor
    Hinomoto E2804, Hinomoto N239,

I have a 60" rear finish mower on a 28hp tractor with 4 speed trans. I mow a 3 acre open field every week in 3rd gear and it takes 50 minutes. Smooth as carpet, not knocked down.

Eugene

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD4710

Remember "Speed Thrills!" What's the use of having a big fine tractor if you can't mow FAST?

Greg

Tractor
    2000 B7500HSD Kubota, 2 Case ingersol 448 tractors

I have a bad back also and with my B7500 it would jar me so bad that my teeth would click together. That was at a slow speed mowing. I replaced the original seat with a spring and shock seat from Northern Tool. I just mowled this morning and could go twice as fast and I didn't snap my back or click my teeth once.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM186D & Ford LGT14D

You guys make me feel like an old man !! It takes me 2 hours to mow 1 acre . I figure slow ground speed and fast blade tip speed equal a fine cut ! I have a 48" deck on my CUT . 2 1/2 to 3 hours if I trim around all the trees , the ditch and the house . And yea , I am one of those gys who enjoys mowing my lawn and take pride in how good it looks and having a cold beverage when I'm done . It takes me 6 hours to brush hog about 3 acres at my dad's property with a 48" hog .

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

i agree, i cut one peice which is a little over 1 acre, and with a 60 rfm behind a b2400 it takes me about an hour, tractor and mower are capable of doing it faster, but my inards and equiptment don't like to get shaken around that much, all depends on the terrain and trees.

Tractor
    New Holland TC33D

O.K. guys I think you all need to put the calculators away. A CUT doesn't need to be better at anything. Owning acreage is just an excuse to have an CUT. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img] Personally, sitting upon a fine looking machine is a pleasure, I enjoy mowing. scraping, loading, chipping, and all the other things that I will do someday on my CUT. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/love.gif[/img] Mowing 5 acres an hour...where's the fun in that, it may as well be work. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

My apologies to all who actually use their CUTs for real work. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7360SS & Craftsman GT3000 23 HP w/50

not to be picky....but being an engineer afterall..... your numbers are on the low side by 10% because one acre = 43,560 sq. ft.

five acres = 216800 sq ft.
    3.42 mph

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast