Opinions Please (Slope)

/ Opinions Please (Slope) #1  

Tazbota

Tractor
Kubota/ BX2200
I recently took delivery of a BX2200 and after mowing a couple of times on the "back bank" of my property I began to wonder how safe it was because of the "pucker factor" being present. So, after reading some post I ordered a Inclinometer from R&B Mfg thinking that it would calrify for me if I should be concerned on the "back bank". After installing the inclinometer this morning I set out for the slopes to see if I was being overly cautious (my first real tractor). I know that according to the meter and it's markings, one should not exceed 15 degrees of slope. But I also realize that they MAY be conservative as too keep away from the sue happy citizens of America. Here is what I found, on the slope on the front of my property where I feel completly safe and comfortable it read 12-14 degrees. On the "back bank" it read 19 degrees but at a 15 ft "pucker section" it read 23 degrees.

* The meter is saying NO! But I'm saying (?) heck I've done several times already.

Based on your experiences I would like to know what your thoughts are on mowing on these slopes. Have I been lucky and now foolish OR do others mow on such slopes without having problems?

Thanks for your Help,
Brent

/ Opinions Please (Slope) #2  
Are you driving across the slope? Or up and down?

If across, and you feel comfortable..well, no problem! The up/down reccomendation is 30°, if I recall correctly.

The BX2200 is much lower then many other compacts, hence lower Center of Gravity. That should be a more comfortable machine to drive across slopes.

/ Opinions Please (Slope)
I should have mentioned, I am driving across the slope.

Brent

/ Opinions Please (Slope) #4  
Reminds me of the joke about the man who complains to his doctor. He says "doc, it hurts when i do this." Doc says, "don't do that any more."

/ Opinions Please (Slope) #5  
I go across 23 degrees on my front hill. I go slowly and still have the pucker factor after two years.
Mike

/ Opinions Please (Slope) #6  
there is a false idea that at a certain angle of slope, the tractor will fall off the slope. It is not the slope as much as the sudden change in slope that gets the tractor and operator in trouble. You are driving on a slope and your wheel drops in a hole or you drive on top of a rock and as you drive off the rock, the slope changes real fast. Another problem is that you are driving on a slope and you suddenly turn the wheel to avoid a rock, hole or such. So be aware of where you drive, know the surface of the slope and always think before you do and you will not have any problems.

As far as yout tiltmeter, mount it on you beer mug and you can find the slippery slope really is.

Dan L

/ Opinions Please (Slope) #7  
Thanks for this post, Tazbota. I also been thinking about the safety of mowing my banks. So far I have not tried to mow the bank beside my house with my TC21D. My feeling is that my comfort level is the most important thing. I've been on the bottom of the bank, and I just don't feel good about it. This was the main reason for me keeping my Wheelhorse, and Sears Garden Tractors. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I've mowed these same banks at least a hundred times, and I feel pretty comfortable doing it with either of them. As Roy said lower center of gravity. Just my $.02. I'd rather be safe then sorry. Kent

/ Opinions Please (Slope) #8  
best to go with gut feelings..if you are uncomfortable ..DON`T DO IT...had an old gent who used to take my hay off the one field with a Kubota 4x4..sothern Ohio..kinda up n down hills..he finally informed me that he was getting to old to be taking hay off hills..was going to stick to flat land..So i fired up the Ford 3000..and proceded to bh the side hills..like whatinnahellam i doin here...first pass i rode the uphill running board..ulp..no problem now..oh yes inclometers are fine for Jeeps..but tractors..hummmmm ... Sid

/ Opinions Please (Slope) #9  
By chance I recently was talking to a guy, and it turns out that he is involved with farm safety at Penn State University.

He was telling me about a demo they do at county fairs and places with a radio controlled tractor, to show both how easy it can be to roll a tractor, and the importance of wearing your seatbelt with a ROPS.

They run the tractor across a slope about 20 degrees, and hit a rock. Tractor flips sidways and rolls down the slope. Now he did say they run the tractor at 6 mph, and that it was a larger tractor, not a compact, but still...

He also commented that the slopes they do these demonstrations on do not look that steep. I've not seen one so I have no idea.

Speed is another variable that needs to be kept in mind. Slower is better when you find yourself puckering.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA