Rears *Too* Heavy?

/ Rears *Too* Heavy? #1  

webbmeister

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC25D
Well, I mowed the neighbors yard for him, and the same swaths of brown grass that I get on my property also appeared on his. I had assumed that the brown tire marks on my side were from the 4wd pulling the grass as the tractor held its own going down steep hills and being agressive going up the steep hills. Maybe I'm wrong! Can tires be too heavy?

Thanks,

Jim

/ Rears *Too* Heavy? #2  
Meister... Yes and No !! The total weight of the tractor is the force that is applied to the contact patch at the tire/ground meeting point. The weight usually isn't too well balanced on a tractor and you'll see a bunch more weight on the rear. The tire weight and the fill are only part of the equation. What do you have for tires ?

Next question ... Is the grass dry ?? ...I mean in need of rain. If so, the grass 'leaves' may be crunching and breaking under the weight and not just folding and springing back. You can get the same effect from foot traffic believe it or not.

Two times grass isn't happy being crushed...very dry, and frozen ( frost ).

You may do better mowing in the morning before the sun has a chance to de-dew the grass fully. Your quality of cut may not be the best, but you won't harm the grass as much !!

/ Rears *Too* Heavy? #3  
W,
Check the inflation pressure in your tires. For most compacts with a mid-mount deck, the pressures should be in the neighborhood of 12-14 psi front and 8-10 psi rear. The pressure (pounds per square inch) on the turf is just a little (1-2 psi) higher than the inflation pressure in the tires. It is this contact pressure that has the potential to damage the turf as well as generate soil compaction.

If you are mowing on flat ground, it is not necessary to use 4WD--on hills that is another matter. When turning with the front wheels engaged, you will need to make wide turns to prevent tearing the turf.

Jack

/ Rears *Too* Heavy? #4  
Hi,

My rear tires are loaded and I cut the grass recently with a RFM and had no problem with browning tire tracks on the grass. It has been VERY dry here, by the way. The loader and the backhoe were not on the machine at that time.

Then I used the kubota B2910 with the loader and backhoe on to carry some cut tree away from behind the house, and I later noticed brown tire tracks...but narrow ones from the front wheels. I don't think I was using four wheel drive at the time...almost certainly not...but he marks are there...

So for what its worth...my rears are R4 running 12 psi. Have to check the fronts which are also R4s...seems like the weight of the loader plus wood made a big difference on the grass.

I don't see any marks from the rears though, even with the added weight of the backhoe on the machine...

Hope this adds something to the discussion!

Bill in Pgh, PA...almost...

/ Rears *Too* Heavy? #5  
has been very dry here in western ny, my 2400 leaves marks just runinng over grass, if in 4wd and turning it is worse, i am running r4:s don't really think it is a case of too heavy, even my 18 hp garden tractor lays the grass down. actually my walk behind trim mower leaves some marks in the grass. but all is ok the next day.

/ Rears *Too* Heavy? #6  
Hi Jim,
I get some of that too with my TC21D also. Mine goes away also the next day. Now a question, is your grass growing out there? I haven't mowed for 3 weeks, and there's no sign that I'm going to have to do it for a while. No rain to speak of around here in a month. My seat time is very very low. Catch you later, Kent

/ Rears *Too* Heavy? #7  
Webb,In most cases when a compact is in 4WD the the front tires and the back tires are not turning in the exact same ratio.In other words, one axle is not turning the same as the other.

This is why is not recommended to drive on pavement or a hard surface in 4WD.This will, in time, bring damage to the drive train. The tires not being in perfect timing with one another is what is chewing up the turf.

This result is most noticable when the ground is either very dry or very wet.

/ Rears *Too* Heavy?
Well, it is not in fwd unless it "senses" that it has to be, and then when slippage stops, it goes back to 2wd. It is the sensitrack that comes with NH supersteer. I can lock it into fwd, but there is no locking it into 2wd.

Jim

/ Rears *Too* Heavy?
Yes, it is growing - "a little." It has been very dry and hot here too. The apples are not doing too well - I don't think I neede to spray them - the worms would have died of thirst!

When the guy next door cuts his lawn with his craftsman, he doesn't get tire marks. I did it for him, and got the brown tracks. it is 1 1/2 weeks later, and the tracks are still there.

I wonder if it is possible for the sensitrack to malfunction and get hung up in fwd?

Here's wishing water and cool temperatures for all of us hit by the dry heat.

Jim

/ Rears *Too* Heavy? #10  
Hi Jim,
I guess its possible for the tractor to hang up in FWD. I know the wider rear tires on my 21 will make more of a mark then my Craftsman, and Wheelhorse. Usually when the grass grows they go away, but we had no rain for a while. I checked today, and I can still see where I mowed about three weeks ago. I hope that helps some. I'm here in Pa hoping for rain. Talk to you later. Kent