Photos on the Hill

/ Photos on the Hill #1  

Jag

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota /L2650/ LA450/B4690 -- John Deere 450 Dozer
On the board now we have talked about the slopes what it is safe to work our equipment on. I took the time to check out the one big hill that I mow a little of and the road going up the powerline ROW. Here the pictures and what I found walking the slopes using a six foot straight edge and meter...

This first picture is my tractor stopped going down the slope, it is about 23-24 degrees. The max I found on this steep side was still under 25 degrees. My tractor would not back up this slope in 2-wheel drive, it would hit some uneven place and just buck and dig. Four wheel drive was not a problem. It is a scarry slope and I would not want to operate the bushhog except going straight down, not backing up it...

Attachments

• 47-185757-hill01f.jpg
    47-185757-hill01f.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 150
   / Photos on the Hill
Same place different view.

Attachments

• 47-185758-hill02f.jpg
    47-185758-hill02f.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 117
   / Photos on the Hill
This is the other side of the hill not quite as steep as the first, max is around 22 degrees. The little orange dot way up at the top is my tractor. It is setting at 22 degrees not quite facing the camera.. Hope this gives you some sort of scale.

Attachments

• 47-185763-hill03f.jpg
    47-185763-hill03f.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 122
   / Photos on the Hill #4  
Great pictures Jag! I agree, once I get above 20 degrees it makes me nervous too.

/ Photos on the Hill #5  
nice photos, but looking at your pics, i got to wondering/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif on the drive home from work they are doing so road work, and as i was stopped in traffic i watched a dozer grading a side berm and i got all pucked up just watching,WHY can the dozer take so much more tilt? he was not going up and down he was traversing the hill sideways, way ove 30 deg. am sure.

/ Photos on the Hill #6  
<font color=blue>WHY can the dozer take so much more tilt?</font color=blue>

Lower center of gravity.

/ Photos on the Hill #7  
Geeee Wizzzz,I thought I had some "rough" mowing.I would always keep that baby in 4-WD and keep that belt latched down TIGHT...

/ Photos on the Hill #8  
Great photos, I agree that that is some hill. If it had been shorter in length the slope would not have bothered me but the long length would do a number on a person.
PJ

/ Photos on the Hill
Frank, there two thing that make this possible. One the slope is usually not near as bad as you think. (the pictures of the slope with my tractor, I just knew that the were over 30 degrees till I checked). Two the low center of gravity and traction.... Traction, as in, as the dozer works across the slope will lose it and slide before it will try to tip... There are no cleats along the length of the tracks. The what little cleat point you have cross the track with side loading is very high it will not stop much and really you have slick metal on soil.... Think how does a dozer turn, it slides it tracks around as it spins... It will slide be for tipping...

/ Photos on the Hill #10  
Makes my bottomland look real tame.