Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota /L2650/ LA450/B4690 -- John Deere 450 Dozer

Default Photos on the Hill

On the board now we have talked about the slopes what it is safe to work our equipment on. I took the time to check out the one big hill that I mow a little of and the road going up the powerline ROW. Here the pictures and what I found walking the slopes using a six foot straight edge and meter...

This first picture is my tractor stopped going down the slope, it is about 23-24 degrees. The max I found on this steep side was still under 25 degrees. My tractor would not back up this slope in 2-wheel drive, it would hit some uneven place and just buck and dig. Four wheel drive was not a problem. It is a scarry slope and I would not want to operate the bushhog except going straight down, not backing up it...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Member
    Tractor

Default Re: Photos on the Hill

Same place different view.

Gold Member
    Tractor

This is the other side of the hill not quite as steep as the first, max is around 22 degrees. The little orange dot way up at the top is my tractor. It is setting at 22 degrees not quite facing the camera.. Hope this gives you some sort of scale.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

Great pictures Jag! I agree, once I get above 20 degrees it makes me nervous too.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

nice photos, but looking at your pics, i got to wondering[img]/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif[/img] on the drive home from work they are doing so road work, and as i was stopped in traffic i watched a dozer grading a side berm and i got all pucked up just watching,WHY can the dozer take so much more tilt? he was not going up and down he was traversing the hill sideways, way ove 30 deg. am sure.

Tractor
    Yanmar 1500D

<font color=blue>WHY can the dozer take so much more tilt?</font color=blue>

Lower center of gravity.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L4610,BX2200,ZD28F

Geeee Wizzzz,I thought I had some "rough" mowing.I would always keep that baby in 4-WD and keep that belt latched down TIGHT...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PowerTrac 425 (September 2003)

Great photos, I agree that that is some hill. If it had been shorter in length the slope would not have bothered me but the long length would do a number on a person.
    PJ

Gold Member
    Tractor

Frank, there two thing that make this possible. One the slope is usually not near as bad as you think. (the pictures of the slope with my tractor, I just knew that the were over 30 degrees till I checked). Two the low center of gravity and traction.... Traction, as in, as the dozer works across the slope will lose it and slide before it will try to tip... There are no cleats along the length of the tracks. The what little cleat point you have cross the track with side loading is very high it will not stop much and really you have slick metal on soil.... Think how does a dozer turn, it slides it tracks around as it spins... It will slide be for tipping...

Tractor
    NH 1630 W-7308 FEL/ Kubota L4630GSTC W-LA853 FEL WQ/A-CC 2544

Makes my bottomland look real tame.