Plowing with R4's ?

/ Plowing with R4's ? #1  

blunosr

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5000, Ford 5000, Massey Ferguson 1080, Bobcat A300
Hi, I'm pretty much set on buying a Kubota MX5100, 4wd, 50hp. The one in the yard at the dealer has loaded R4's, but I want to plow, disc, run a 6' tiller, spring tooth harrows, cultivator, etc. in soft loamy soil for a vegetable operation.

Should I insist on Ag tires? I like the industrial rims better because they're heavier and wider than those used for the Ag's. Can I get wider Ag tires to fit the R4 rims?

It's the same price with R4's or Ag's, both loaded.

Thanks for any advice,

/ Plowing with R4's ? #2  
I have been told that a 4x4 with R4s is as good, if not a little better than a 4x2 with R1s in terms of traction. But, my cousins who are active farmers SWEAR nothing beats a high quality R1 for traction, or a pair of them on each side if it's muddy.

Having used turf and R1s extensively there is a HUGE difference in traction but I have limited experience with R4s to compare. Based on the fact that you don't plan to use your tractor on the lawn, I'd say R1s all the way.

/ Plowing with R4's ? #3  
I would also suggest the R1's, because they will let your tractor pull much harder on soft ground than it could with R4's. You are being ripped off if you pay the same price for the R1's as the dealer would charge for R4's. R1's for that tractor should cost you at least $400 less than R4's. If that dealer wont give you the R1's at a fair price, I would shop around a little.

/ Plowing with R4's ? #4  
R 1's for the type work you just mentioned. Its all I will use and I do the same type work you are wanting to do.

/ Plowing with R4's ? #6  
I use my Kioti 45 hp for the same things you will be using your Kubota for, R1's are made for the type of ag work you are describing.

/ Plowing with R4's ? #7  
get the ag tires, you'll be sorry if you get the industrials, they are made to slip so you don't tear up something when using it in an INDUSTRIAL setting thus the name industrial tires. when farming always get farming tires, its a no brainer

/ Plowing with R4's ? #8  
I have to agree with everyone else. I have a L5030 with industrial tires and really like it, but when I need to do any farm type stuff like plowing, disking etc., I go get one with ag tires. There is a formula on maximum efficiency, ground speed, wheel slip and so on. Even though a tractor with industrial tires may pull a certain implement, it is not going to do so as efficiently as the same tractor with ag tires and it is going to cost you in time and fuel.

Goodyear use to make a pretty good compromise that we used on our Case, but they discontinued it.

/ Plowing with R4's ? #9  
My 4010 with turf tires (R3s?) will pull a soil ripper with all 7 cultivator tines buried.

Ralph

Attachments

• Soil Ripper Rear.JPG
    Soil Ripper Rear.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 247
   / Plowing with R4's ? #10  
If you want to use a tractor to its full potential get R1's. For the work you want to do, in fresh plowed soil R1's are the only way to go. They will give you the most traction and not load up with mud as easily.

If they want to sell the tractor they will get you what you want. If not the economy is somehow better in there little bubble.:drool:

Chris