Ballast Liquid Ballast - how to tell?

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell? #1  

techwrtr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
Which one?
I'm getting ready to put my turf tires back on the 855 for the summer, I discovered that one is much lighter than the other which leads to the obvious conclusion that I have a leaky tube. Not surprising considering the tires are quite worn. Haven't decided whether I'm just going to fix/replace the tube or also buy new tires now ($$$ since an odd size). The question however is what ballast is in the tires?

When we purchased the tractor used, the tires were already filled and I've never done anything with them. How do I determine what ballast is in there now? I assume it's probably CaCl2, but I have no real idea. I know it won't be plain water since we get cold weather.

Will one ballast have a color that the others won't? I'll consider odor. Antifreeze has a distinct odor and texture. Anything else I need to ponder to determine what is there. I don't know the odor of CaCl2 or the beet juice. Nor do I know what color they will be.

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell? #2  
If you push the thingy in the middle of your valve stem and liquid comes out (no matter what color) it's got something in it. You can rotate your tire, a little at a time, and keep pushing the valve thingy. When you rotate it enough that air starts coming out look at the valve stem in relation to the height of the tire. That's how much juice is still in it.

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell? #3  
Forgot part of it. Beet pulp is thick and red. Looks exactly like blood to me. Calcium Chloride is clear to a slight yellow color. Depending on how old it is. You will know if it's beet pulp. It's sticky as molasses.

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell?
That the beet juice is red does not surprise me. I'll go on the assumption that if it's clear it's CaCl2.

I discovered they were filled right after buying the tractor when I went to check tire pressures and fluid came out. Don't remember if it was clear or not.

Does CaCl2 have a particular odor?

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell? #5  
Tastes salty, :)

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell? #6  
I would be surprised if were anything OTHER then CaCl. But it could be antifreeze. If it is/was Cacl you'll want to take the tire off the and clean the rim real good with clear water, maybe even put a fresh coat of paint on it. Once the cancer gets started it's hard to stop.

Wedge

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell? #7  
They use a water/alcohol mix around here. It is lighter than water while CaCl is quite a bit heavier. Do the taste test if clear. If SALTY its CaCl. If mildly sweet alcohol.
larry

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell? #8  
They use a water/alcohol mix around here. It is lighter than water while CaCl is quite a bit heavier. Do the taste test if clear. If SALTY its CaCl. If mildly sweet alcohol.
larry
And if you get really sick.. Then probably antifreeze. :D :D

Wedge

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell? #9  
And if you get really sick.. Then probably antifreeze. :D :D

Wedge
Antifreeze would be noticeably sweet. :D ... Do not swallow. Spit and rinse.:thumbsup:
larry

/ Liquid Ballast - how to tell? #10  
If you push the thingy in the middle of your valve stem and liquid comes out (no matter what color) it's got something in it. You can rotate your tire, a little at a time, and keep pushing the valve thingy. When you rotate it enough that air starts coming out look at the valve stem in relation to the height of the tire. That's how much juice is still in it.

It's called a valve core.
They're cheap and a good thing to keep a few around. The tool to remove them is called (surprisingly) valve core removal tool.
Half dozen or so valve cores and the tool shouldn't cost you more then $5-$7 at NAPA.

Windshield fluid will have a bluish tint.
CaCl will have a straw tint (considering it's an 855, it's probably CaCl due to the age of the tractor)
Anti-freeze will be greenish
As previously written, beet juice has a reddish tint.