Hey! My R4s are only 4 ply!

/ Hey! My R4s are only 4 ply! #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi all,

Well, I chose R4s for the puncture resistance...but would have ordered them anyway as a good compromise tire. But...I see the Goodyear 12.4-16 R4s that came on my Kubota B2910 are only 4 ply rating. For some reason after reading posts here on TBN I thought they would be 6 ply.

Worst of all is that I got a flat this afternoon. Front right tire...crack/cut 3/8 inches long in the center of the tread. Some glass in the top soil I am trying to scrape off and store for later use, in an area below my pond where I wil deposit some dirt removed from the high side of the pond. Have to take the tire somewhere and get it fixed tomorrow.

Guess I better just get the fronts foam filled...can't live with a flat within three hours of starting work in that area. Would be worse in winter!

Sort of disappointed that the R4s are only 4 ply rated. Really expected 6PR. What do you guys have on yours...did something change on the R4s? Are 6 ply R4s something special? Were 4 ply R4s always the norm?

Thanks for any input.

Bill

/ Hey! My R4s are only 4 ply! #2  
I can't speak for Kubota, but over in the New Holland area I was pointed to R4's over Turfs with 6ply vs. 4ply as one of the main reasons. I took a look and my R4's are 6ply. I don't know which is the standard, if there is even one at all.

/ Hey! My R4s are only 4 ply!
6 ply over 4 ply was a major motivation for me too.

I did not check the front ply rating, but the backs are 4 ply and that sort of bums me out as I have filled the tires with ballast and REALLY don't want a puncture there!

I think I will run out and take a look at the front right now!

Bill

Well, the fronts are R4 4 ply rated too. The fronts are made in the USA while the rear Goodyear's are made in Indonesia, for what that is worth...

Bill

/ Hey! My R4s are only 4 ply! #5  
Well, you got my curiosity up (call me George /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif). I've only had my tractor a couple of weeks. The brand of tire on my <font color=green>4310</font color=green> is Titan Trac Loader. They even have "Made in the USA" with waving American flags on either side molded into the tire. Can't beat it! Anyway, the front tires are 6-ply and the rears, are you sitting down?, are 12-ply!

/ Hey! My R4s are only 4 ply! #6  
My "Value Line" Kioti DK45 has Titan R4's Rear are 8PR and Fronts are 6PR. Ted

Well, I guess I am a little bummed out at the moment...

Seems that 4ply R4s would not offer much in the way of puncture resistance over even a turf tire. Mabye a little better because of the thicker lugs, but...

Anyway, I guess I will see what happens, since I already loaded my rear tires with WW fluid. Foam filliing of the 12.4 x 16 rears on this B2910 would cost $247 each.

THe pricing for the Kubota B2910 lists R4 tires as costing only a little more than turfs. Very little more. Guess you get what you pay for.

I guess I can't complain... I did not specify the number of plies for the r4 tires. Shame on me.

Hopefully my experience will help better educate someone who is about to purchase a new tractor...

Anyone out there with a B2710 or B2910 also have the 4ply R4s?

I decdided to get my fronts foam filled on Monday. Forgot to ask the price when I got my tire repaired this morning. Anyway, it's a no brainer...gotta do it...

Bill

/ Hey! My R4s are only 4 ply! #8  
<font color=red>Anyone out there with a B2710 or B2910 also have the 4ply R4s? <font color=red>
<font color=black>
This is my 2910 b-day (49 hrs) and I just went out (102 heat index)and checked;
Front Titan (made in USA) 4 ply
Rear Goodyear 4 ply

I have had the impression that increase number of ply was to carry more load.

While we are on the subject... does the "SLIME" or other sealants work with tires filled with balast? My guess is NO. What's your feeling?
<font color=black>

/ Hey! My R4s are only 4 ply! #9  
have a b2400 with titan tires, r4"s front are rated 4 ply and back 6 ply. seems like they should all be the same! guess it just another case of fool the consumer!

/ Hey! My R4s are only 4 ply! #10  
Here is the titan website, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.titanstore.com/>Titan</A>, that should be useful. The number of plys is a measure of load capability of the tire, puncture resistence may be just a side effect.

For example:

23x8.5-12 4ply has a max load weight of 1470 lbs.
23x8.5-12 6ply has a max load weight of 1810 lbs.

So, the number of plys that is spec'd for your tractor is based on the weight/capacity of your tractor. Just taking a WAG, but I believe the combined max tire load for your tractor is about 10,000 lbs. That should be plenty. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif