Brush hogging????

/ Brush hogging???? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Well, I keep thinking what I want to do about brush hogging my land. I got 4.3 acres of land, and a little less then half is woods. My first problem is I don’t have a ton of money to spend. My second is that I have a lot of poison ivy in the woods, and sence I have it for a second time this year,/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I want to stay away from it as much as possible. My first choice is paying someone to do it. OK, ya it makes sense, but I want the fun./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. Or I can rent one. That would be a lot of money, and I would have to set aside a whole weekend to do it. I would like to do it a bit at a time when I feel like playing. Also I would have to redo this a few time a year. A PITA. I could also get one of those walk behind brushcutters,like a DR, or a billygoat. It would take longer, but I don’t have a ton to do. Big problem with that is I would think all the chopping would blow all over me.[back to the poison ivy thing] Any one have one? Does that happen? Best part about this is the price. For about $1500 I’m set. I was also thinking of one of the tow behind cutters that they make now. A little more then walk behind but gets me out of the spray, and I can use the tractor I have now to pull it. Problem with that is they say it will cut up to 1.5in thick stuff. How true is this, and can parts be gotten if I brake something? Last choice a real tractor. Problem is $$$. I am looking at spending at least 3grand, and then get a 3 point brush hog. Good points? Come on, it’s a tractor./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Can use other attachments.[post hole digger can come in handy] And can use a loader.[may not be able to swing it at first, but down the road] One question with this? Does a tractor mounted brush hog throw clippings all over you.[back to the poison ivy]? Any thing I’m missing? Any input? Thanks.

/ Brush hogging???? #2  
If your primary concern is getting poison ivy stems, etc spraying on you from the brush hog, a simply solution may be to (a) buy what you want, and (b) the first time you knock it all back, do it on a cool day and wear clothes that will cover all of your skin (long sleeves, long pants).

/ Brush hogging????
I would not say its primary, but just something to think about.[as I sit here iching like crazy] Any thing I chose I will be all bundled up, if not for the PI, for all the ticks in the woods.

/ Brush hogging???? #4  
I understand about the seat time,but if you think the poision ivy might affect your health I would hire someone to chop it couple of times,and if you decide to do it yourself wear heavy clothes and glove plus mouth protection,and try and void a breezy day.

The best setup for brush hogging I've seen 8N Ford w/a brush hog..those little beast can go about anywhere,and out shine some 4wd tractors<---bet I'll pay for that statement. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Brush hogging????
<font color=red>bet I'll pay for that statement</font color=red>

Not from me. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I would love to get and old 8n, or a old ferggy. I perfer gear drive, and I am a good size guy, so power steering is not a big thing. I have seen loaders on them before, so they would be doable. Plus they fit into my price range./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Brush hogging???? #6  
Thomas:
Rember away back when some of them tractors had an idler wheel and track for rough going.

Egon

/ Brush hogging???? #7  
During the winter months, poison ivy is much easier to work with (no sap). Once you get it cut back, it's one of the easiest plants to control with 24D. The birds will continually reseed for you, so it's an annual task (spraying). Ted

/ Brush hogging???? #8  
Belt guards in front will reduce the amount of contact you have, but I'm afraid dense and tall ivy particals will still find their way to your skin, or worse still, down your throat if you are very sensitive.

If you need to do it yourself, the best solution to avoiding all contact is front and rear belt guards, a damp day, and a cab with fresh air supply filters. If you have only minor sensitivity, such drastic measures may not be needed.

/ Brush hogging???? #9  
Paul, I own a DR Brush Cutter. It is the 14 horsepower model, and I have had it for two years, with aprx 400 hours on it. I have only broken 1 part, it was under warranty, and was promptly shipped from Country Home Products, other than that, a tune up and replaced a belt once. Great company to work with, I have had excellent customer service. I own 17 acres but only maintain about 5 with it, combination of woods and pasture. The material comes out the right side of the machine, and I have not had any trouble with material blowing around. If you are worried about it, do the work on a cool day after a rain. Their add says it will cut 1" material, but I can cut anything I can knock over, and have cut 2" material before but they were "softer" young trees or scrub brush. I also rented the Billygoat brand, which was built like a tank, but the way it shifted was hard, and after 8 hours I could not even shift it any longer. It also had tractor stlye tires, and would spin when trying to climb over logs. The DR has more of a studded turf tire and it has more surface area and gets better traction.

Next year is my target for a tractor, and I see the DR as a nice companion. I will always keep it. It is so easy getting in the woods and working small areas. I also like to clean an area up before trying to get a tractor in it, so I know what I am driving on/in/over.

/ Brush hogging???? #10  
Kinda Egon..but if I say yes I will telling my age. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif