3/4 acre plow-disk-cover crop

/ 3/4 acre plow-disk-cover crop #1  

Boulter

Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
hi:

I have about a 3 acre field. Lat fall I plowed about 3/4 acre. It is probably dry enough to carry on with disking and seeding.

My goal for the field is for personal use field crops and perhaps eventually livestock grazing or field crops. The soil fertility is very poor, so it will be a multi year project to scrounge enough manure, compost. leaves etc. to get things growing well.

The plowing went reasonably well for a city kid learing from a book. As the soil is quite sandy, I expect the disk will do just fine in further busting things up.

My immediate concern is what to seed for a cover crop and how to seed it. I don't have any mechanized seeding gear, nor given the size of the operation do I want any. I am in Central Ontario, Canadian zone 3b.

My goal for this year is to beat back the weeds a bit, grow some nitrogen and organic matter, minimize erosion. Rinse and repeat next year.

A also don't have any mowing equipment and would also prefer to keep it that way too.

I do have an earthway single row walking seeder and a sythe.

I calculated that on 2 foot row spacing, it will be about 9 km of walking. So maybe buy double the seed, broadcast and disk again might make more sense?

I welcome suggestions as to potential cover crops and methods of seeding and further cultivation if needed. I don't mind a certain level of grunt work, but maybe 3/4 of an acre is too much to do manually.

Regards, and thanks,

Boulter

/ 3/4 acre plow-disk-cover crop #2  
   / 3/4 acre plow-disk-cover crop #3  
I guess I don't understand the question exactly. What is it you are planting that you need a cover crop for? Are you sure cover crop is the right term? If you’re wanting to plant something just for soil improvement, there are numerous things you can plant, and all of them with a simple shoulder strap seed spreader. Buckwheat grows very easily, and can be disked in later for organic matter. Since you’re wanting nitrogen, I’d plant a cheap red clover and disc it into the soil in August. Then, plant another fall crop of clover. Clover seed is easier spread with a little hand held seeder on small fields like that.
Clover will add both organic matter and nitrogen to the soil.

/ 3/4 acre plow-disk-cover crop #4  
Hi Boulter,

I may live not far from you in Peterborough if your name is any indication of where you live. I do some cover cropping mostly for nitrogen to break up the horse manure on shavings that I can get by the tons. I prefer red clover but since I'm no expert I can't advise you what is best for you. Your idea of scrounging up organic material is a good one as cover crops don't add to the soil as quickly as you'll want to strengthen it. A word of warning if you don't already know it... softwood chips can take forever to decay so if you can get hardwood chips that's the best way to go. Even hardwood chips need lots of nitrogen to decay and if they don't get it your crop won't have enough nitrogen to grow well either. Cover crops are fun and good agricultural practice. I simply broadcast mine by hand. Not the best way to do it but it works.

/ 3/4 acre plow-disk-cover crop #5  
One could very easily sow seeds on 3/4 acre with a hand held spreader. Easier yet would be a shoulder strap model. I have sowed grass seed with a shoulder strapped spreader over 4 acre fields, it's work but very doable.

As far as what to plant, I haven't a clue as I am from the Deep South and don't understand half of what you guys speak of from up north....lol

/ 3/4 acre plow-disk-cover crop
Hi Folks:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning to clover this year, followed by buckwheat next year. I will also check out broadcast seeders. I bet Lee Valley has something suitable.

Anyhow, first things first. I need to get my disk assembled this week and have a go at it.

Boulter (near Boulter, actually closer to Fort Stewart)