Driving lawn mower on highway

/ Driving lawn mower on highway #1  

6011Artist

Gold Member
Tractor
1957 Ferguson 35, 1977? Yanmar 2200, 1963 Cub Cadet Original
This is a thought that came to mind from the thread below about being stopped by police on a tractor. Is it legal to drive a lawn mower on the highway? I know you can't get out on the main roads on it, and you can't legally drive a go-cart or 4 wheeler on the road. But would a lawn tractor be classified as a tractor and be legal with a SMV sign on the back?

I am thinking about building a utility vehicle out of an older lawn tractor and it would be great to drive it just in my neighborhood LEGALLY. We live in an area with 1 way in, a turn around culdesac, same way in is the way out, only residents usually seen back here, no through traffic. So, will I be legal to drive this thing on a paved county road?

/ Driving lawn mower on highway #2  
Whether it would be legal or not I wouldn't do it. A mower is probably a little bit harder to see (than a tractor) and they don't usually carry a SMV emblem making them harder to spot. If you do it, I would put a SMV on it (or the trailer), and install a fiberglass whip pole with a small flag on it, and wear a yellow or orange safety vest.

/ Driving lawn mower on highway #3  
if there is no traffic other than the few local residents, and is "cul-de-sac" community, i would not even be concerned about traffic or police. i do not see it being an issue, unless you start driving it everywhere.

locally we have two "gentlemen" who have had a few too many DWIs, and lost their licenses. both these guys now drive lawn mowers everywhere they have to go. they ride them on the shoulder, or right on the sidewalk in downtown. they have been doing this for years, and no one seems to bother them. this is in a fairly large "town", with a college, and police force without much to do......

/ Driving lawn mower on highway #4  
George Jones used to drive his garden tractor to the bar all the time....

/ Driving lawn mower on highway #5  
I can tell you it is not legal. Just search your state laws and you will find it. Vehicles on state maintained roads must meet certain criteria in order to operate on them safely and your garden tractor is not one of them. I see golf carts in the sub divisions all the time and yes even they are illegal but people still run around on them. Slow moving vehicles are a safety hazzard to themselves and others that are driving their approved vehicles on the road. This is not meant to burst your bubble but keep you safe. Don't do it.

/ Driving lawn mower on highway
ultraflame, golf carts are legal in SC. I understand you can't get on a main road and you have to have liability insurance. Also, there is an age stipulation, not sure what it is.

I saw a newspaper article from a small town near me that was giving the guidelines. That also is part of my thinking on this, since they are legal on the lesser traveled roads, why wouldn't a lawn tractor be?

My only concern is we have 1 resident that will call the police on you in a minute. She keeps them hot on the 4 wheelers. I don't want to get caught in the middle of that deal. I really don't think I would have a problem unless some hotshot rookie was looking for the rat pack and stumbled upon me in the meantime.

I want to know what the laws are on this.

/ Driving lawn mower on highway #7  
I can tell you it is not legal. Just search your state laws and you will find it. Vehicles on state maintained roads must meet certain criteria in order to operate on them safely and your garden tractor is not one of them. I see golf carts in the sub divisions all the time and yes even they are illegal but people still run around on them.
*Slow moving vehicles are a safety hazzard to themselves and others that are driving their approved vehicles on the road. This is not meant to burst your bubble but keep you safe. Don't do it.
* To me this also means bicycles.
I live on a narrow crooked state highway that is very hilly with many blind turns and few if any berms .
One of the dumbest things i've see the state do is erect
the signs saying share the road with bicycles along this road.
Riding a bicycle out through here is very dangerous and should be discouraged not encouraged,

/ Driving lawn mower on highway #8  
Guessing different states different rules.
NH seen riding mowers and Z turns rolling along w/state plates no SMV sign,but my understanding there a limit on distance travel.