SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #41  
Well Jim I am not sure of your math asscociations as I happen to be a guy that goes by experience (not saying you are incorrect). I am wondering if what you say is correct the more you lift that weight higher saying a 2000# pound log would weigh 1000# at lift when raised to a 45 * angle? The reason I say this is because the 3 pt I have on my tractor is rated at 850* at the draw bar. This lifts 2000* logs with ease which I think it could not do if that area of the log weighed 1000# Of course my tractor is only lifting this height maybe 6 to 8". I'm also going by the fact that in my prime, I could dead lift the end of a 20' 14" oak off the ground a few inches to get a choker under it. This is a log that would weigh close to 1000# and I do not think I was lifting 500#
I guess you'd know for sure of this tool's design functions if you called the company should you be interested in either purchasing or copying the design.

I suspect I value my experience & gutt feel similar to you and I don't trust my math either, so I usually ask someone to check it or I conduct an "experiment". Here's one you can try: take something heavy that's relatively long and of relatively unifrom cross section. An 8' Lally column, thick walled pipe, or an I-beam would be perfect. Set the middle of it on a bathroom scale and note the weight. Now set one end one the scale and the other end on a brick so it's about level. Scale should read about 1/2 the full weight. This is a simply suppoerted beam. Very similar to what we're talking about in the woods.

My initial reaction to the 500# max vertical lift limit was this: My 3ph is good for about 2600#, 24" aft of the lift point, so do I want to use an implement that only rated at 20% of that? They seem mismatched.

I have a boom pole, tongs, chains and associated links& hooks that I suspect is good for the full 2600# at a total cost of about $250.

-Jim

-Jim

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #42  
I suspect I value my experience & gutt feel similar to you and I don't trust my math either, so I usually ask someone to check it or I conduct an "experiment". Here's one you can try: take something heavy that's relatively long and of relatively unifrom cross section. An 8' Lally column, thick walled pipe, or an I-beam would be perfect. Set the middle of it on a bathroom scale and note the weight. Now set one end one the scale and the other end on a brick so it's about level. Scale should read about 1/2 the full weight. This is a simply suppoerted beam. Very similar to what we're talking about in the woods.

My initial reaction to the 500# max vertical lift limit was this: My 3ph is good for about 2600#, 24" aft of the lift point, so do I want to use an implement that only rated at 20% of that? They seem mismatched.

I have a boom pole, tongs, chains and associated links& hooks that I suspect is good for the full 2600# at a total cost of about $250.

-Jim

-Jim

That means I was lifting way more weight than I thought I was. I wonder if that was the reason I've had 3 hernia operations. I was looking at it like tongue weight on a trailer where weight on the tongue would be way less than what the weight of the trailer would be. Of course the trailer would be a bit of a balanced load but a hitch capable of only 500# of vertical weight is capable of pulling at least a 7000# trailer load. I figured a logging tool capable of a 500# lift would at least be able to pull a 2 or 3000# log. Do not know enough about this type of physics to refute what you are stating so I have to leave it at that and contend with your observations as certainly possible to be correct . Thanks for the discussion.