SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
HI,
Got a set of tongs from NORTHERN,for the back of my tractor.They work pretty decent on 8 inch and larger stuff,but dont dig in on smaller[wont hold on] .Are they not sharp enough? Should i just add a choker cable .for the smaller "tree tops'.A friend who yards with horses said ,they are better on softwood cause they dig in.Should i sharpen them more or will it ruin them Heres some pics of the successful hook ups
ALAN

Attachments

• 100_2954 (1016 x 677).jpg
    100_2954 (1016 x 677).jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 529
  • 100_2957 (1016 x 677).jpg
    100_2957 (1016 x 677).jpg
    253 KB · Views: 404
  • 100_2958 (1016 x 677).jpg
    100_2958 (1016 x 677).jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_2963 (1016 x 677).jpg
    100_2963 (1016 x 677).jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 447
  • 100_2965 (1016 x 677).jpg
    100_2965 (1016 x 677).jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 681
   / SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #2  
I would try setting the hooks by whacking them with a maul or a heavy hammer. The smaller logs won't set the hook very well otherwise. If they are that small I would just use a choker and grab a few at a time to skid. Or multiple chokers. Nylon straps or small cables will work good as chokers.

PS: Nice looking set up!

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #4  
I use those exact same tongs. They work great, but we send the smaller stuff through a chipper.

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #5  
I have the same tongs and the same problems.
A 5 pound hammer helps get them into a log - BUT - unless you grasp the log right, they'll get opened by the process of dragging the log.
So - a chain helps.
More tools, less problems.:thumbsup:

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #6  
I have a set of log hooks and in general, they are what they are. They work great on the larger trees, but the smaller ones are better pulled with a small chain. I prefer a double wrapped chain as it is more user friendly, no frays, easy to wrap and hook.

I mounted a chain hook that was compatible to the pulling chain directly to the boom pole with a clevis. When I go to hook anything up, after I get the chain hooked, I can hook the chain where ever it is comfortable, not just on the end. It makes rigging so much easier and no slack or excess chain gets in my way. My chain is always the right length, never too long. With a cable, you do not have this option.

I also mounted a short piece of chain on the boom pole to hang my log hooks on so that when the boom pole is lowered, my hooks touch the ground with a little slack. With a little practice, I can back up to a log, hook it and drive away, never getting off the tractor. Sometimes I can shake it loose, but most often I have to get off to unhook.

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #7  
T too have the same tongs and I took the grinder to them. Just cleaned up the bit a little. They grip good just by giving the jaws a kick but I can throw a chain around any size tree and be gone before I can get the tongs set correctly. 10 bucks and freight gets you my set.;)

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #8  
I sharpened my it does help

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION #9  
escavader, I looked at your pics after I replied. Let me make another suggestion. Make a small boom pole out of 2" tubing that will work out of your reciever hitch. You may need to beef up the reciever welded to your quick hitch but it will be well worth it. I would build it to come out of the hitch about 6-8 inches and turn upwards as high as you want it on 45 degrees or less, mine is probably closer to 30 degrees than 45.. It will make the hooks dangle freely, easier to hook, easier to turn when pulling. The shorter you keep it, the less leverage you get on the tractor. A full boom pole works, but is longer so a smaller tractor feels the leverage. I can pull bigger logs with the shorter pole.

What you already have gets the job done. After you build the short boom, you will find it works so much better.

/ SKIDDING LOGS WITH TONGS ;QUESTION
Is it important using tongs to hook near the end of a log? When i lift im ok ,its when i start the pull the tongs go from straight up and down to a more horizontal position,thats usually where they come off.
Its impressive some times when ive hooked good and watch the logs go into an alligator rollwhile pulling them:)
I also need to figure out a good way to pile all the landing .Iused my loader to do it,but having a bucket of dirt ,got my logs real dirty[hard on chainsaw chains].I needed the ballest because the drive i was twitching out of had a very steep grade.Iwas impresses that the tractor never spun a tire and didnt even faze it [didnt have to even add throttle]Iguess the secret is getting the end up off the ground.My large atv would have spun,the tractor is bettar imho.
ALAN