Mowing Now this is a mowing machine!!

/ Now this is a mowing machine!! #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Went turkey hunting at my club last Saturday morning and this was parked right where we turn off a secondary road onto the dirt road that leads down to our hunt cabin. It's a Woods Boss by VME, they've been discussed here before but this was my first up close look at one. I think it was a model TBE 110 or something like that. Their website is Home if you want to look at it. According to the info, this one looks like it might have a 112hp turbo diesel engine in this machine. I think these are actually built by a New Holland dealer in Atlanta.

Believe it or not, the outside bead of the right front tire was about halfway off of the rim. I guess the crew was planning to get it fixed one day this week? They are under contract with SCE&G power company to clear the right of way's and are working the area where my club's 400 acre lease is. They were up at my parent's house about a month or so ago clearing right behind the house, but I missed them then since I live about 70 miles from there. That winch up front is hydraulic, about 20k lbs of pull. The grill on this one was pretty much wasted, even though it was sort of sitting in place. There was LOTS of debris on the oil cooler or radiator (wasn't sure what it was), they ought to be paying more attention to that!

WoodsBosstractor002.jpg

Here's the super heavy duty mower, it looked like it was a 6ft mower. The label was scrubbed off, but the metal nameplate did indicate it was made in Italy. I bet that sucker weighs about 1200lbs or more! Notice the MASSIVE gearbox on that one! The skids on the front of the mower deck were about 1" thick steel, the deck felt like maybe 1/2" thick steel!! The tail wheel was gone, probably either got too bent up or maybe broken off?? The rear bumper on the left side was stuck all the way in. These guys are not too good at maintenance, huh?

WoodsBosstractor004.jpg

Here's one of the blades, all of a foot long! That pan was about 4ft diameter, would guess about 250-300 lbs or so??

WoodsBosstractor007.jpg

I checked to see if the keys were in it... No go, or I was gonna clear out some shooting lanes at the huntclub!! :licking:

/ Now this is a mowing machine!! #2  
what kinda tractor is that

/ Now this is a mowing machine!! #3  
Now thats heavy duty, ive seen the cutter before but the tractor with that roll cage is cool and it has all chains on the three point hitch i wonder how and why that was done?

/ Now this is a mowing machine!! #4  
I think that is like a heavy duty rotary cutter when pulled forward and capable of cutting down small trees when pushed backwards, the spring loaded guards will move forward and let you cut through some thick stuff.

/ Now this is a mowing machine!! #5  
   / Now this is a mowing machine!! #6  
That rotary mower is made by Brown MFG in AL. I own two of them and yes they are built well. :thumbsup:

/ Now this is a mowing machine!!
The one I saw had a metal nameplate riveted onto it which clearly indicated "made in italy" on it. Maybe Brown buys them and rebadges them??

/ Now this is a mowing machine!! #8  
I wonder if id replace all my 3point links with chains like in that picture#2 if it would make my brush cutting of ditches and steep hills better. ive never thought of useing all chains but it looks like it would alow the cutter to swivel and follow the contours of the grownd better. ?

/ Now this is a mowing machine!! #9  
Now thats heavy duty, ive seen the cutter before but the tractor with that roll cage is cool and it has all chains on the three point hitch i wonder how and why that was done?

The chains keep things from bending on either the tractor or mower when you drop off into deep ditches or push the mower up over stumps, banks etc. Also keeps you from getting stuck if you drop the rear wheels of the tractor into a deep ditch and the mower hangs you up. Basically just more flexibility for use on really rough terrain, your only limiting factor would be the PTO shaft.

/ Now this is a mowing machine!! #10  
How is the turkey hunting in SC?