1955 Ferguson TO35

/ 1955 Ferguson TO35 #1  

RandomEllis

Tractor
Ferguson TO35
I am new here and to the world of tractors in general. I wouldn't consider myself to be the handiest, most mechanically inclined person in the world, but I do think that I can handle anything that might pop up with this TO35.

Long story short my soon-to-be-wife and I moved out to 15-acres in East Texas in October. I've since purchased a few cows and horses and needed something to primarily mow the pastures. On Craigslist (gotta love it!) I found a guy with this tractor for trade. I ended up trading him an old muscle car that I've owned for the past 7-8 years that I had no hope in restoring and really only cost me less than $500. So I figured trading a non-working car for a working tractor and four implements (mower/shredder, boom, HEAVY blade, and a 3-pt platform) was a heck of a deal!

At the moment I just want to confirm that it is indeed the correct year. The serial number on the tractor is 143401. At the moment I don't have any pictures to share to make sure that it is also a TO35, but I will get some tonight.

Any ideas/thoughts/concerns/advice/whatever would be greatly appreciated. Just pretend you're trying to explain things to a small child and everything should work out fine! :laughing:

P.S. Does anyone know the value of the tractor in "decent" condition?

/ 1955 Ferguson TO35 #3  
about 2500$ for a running to35 figure it as being similar in capabilities to a ford NAA.

i reccomend you getting the ferguson I&T manual as well as an owners manual.

soundguy

/ 1955 Ferguson TO35 #5  
   / 1955 Ferguson TO35 #6  
My hunt club bought a '57 TO-35 last year. It smokes when it runs, the PTO works but the seal leaks, the 3pt lift works.... most of the time, there's some diesel in the radiator fluid, it needs four new tires, and it could use a new paint job. Other than all that, it works great!! :) Hey, what do you expect for $1000 bucks???? :D

/ 1955 Ferguson TO35 #7  
I am new here and to the world of tractors in general. I wouldn't consider myself to be the handiest, most mechanically inclined person in the world, but I do think that I can handle anything that might pop up with this TO35.

Long story short my soon-to-be-wife and I moved out to 15-acres in East Texas in October. I've since purchased a few cows and horses and needed something to primarily mow the pastures. On Craigslist (gotta love it!) I found a guy with this tractor for trade. I ended up trading him an old muscle car that I've owned for the past 7-8 years that I had no hope in restoring and really only cost me less than $500. So I figured trading a non-working car for a working tractor and four implements (mower/shredder, boom, HEAVY blade, and a 3-pt platform) was a heck of a deal!

At the moment I just want to confirm that it is indeed the correct year. The serial number on the tractor is 143401. At the moment I don't have any pictures to share to make sure that it is also a TO35, but I will get some tonight.

Any ideas/thoughts/concerns/advice/whatever would be greatly appreciated. Just pretend you're trying to explain things to a small child and everything should work out fine! :laughing:

P.S. Does anyone know the value of the tractor in "decent" condition?

Definitely a 1955 model. There are two versions--the Standard and the Deluxe. I wouldn't pay more than $2K for either version assuming everything works properly, no leaks. Be sure to check performance in all gears and be sure the pto and 3pt hitch are working properly.

These old tractors can be a real pain if the clutch, tranny or pto has a problem. Right now my 1964 MF-135 diesel is in my shop with a clutch problem. I probably will have to split the tractor and replace the clutch pack ($600 or so for parts).

/ 1955 Ferguson TO35 #8  
I have a 1957 TO35 that is a 1 owner, as in it has never been sold, a buddies grandfather bought it new, was passed on to me. When I got it, the motor was freshly rebuilt, new tires and paint, nothing else had been refurbished. I learned a lot working the old gal over. Everything now works great.

TBN is a great site, my main tractor forum. It is the best for building your own equipment and have had really great experiences getting help on my Yanmar 2200. When I tackled the old Ferguson, I got little response at TBN. These guys just aren't into the old iron like some of the others sites. These guys actually use their tractors and I find they are more related to newer tractors than the older 50's models. I haven't been to the MF pages in quite a while because it was always newer equipment than what I have. I love my old iron, not looking to upgrade either. I found that Yesterdays Tractor was the best site for my old Ferguson. Those guys are collectors/rebuilders. They will help you with the technical questions. TBN is still very helpful for us guys that actually use our tractors, but thought I would pass this along in case you stumped your toe and needed to look farther. I did ask a question on draft controls the other day and got a great response from a guy that owned a TO35 years back.

I don't consider myself to be the smartest wrench in the toolbox, but like yourself, I decided it was time to learn to do the repairs myself. I stumbled around and plundered until I found my answers but the end result is that it all now works properly and if it doesn't, I usually know enough to get her back running. If I can be of any help to ya, email me.