Tractors Built by Who?

/ Tractors Built by Who? #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
after all I read and learn about different makes of tractors one thing comes to mind? I have never read or even heard anyone talking about a Chevy tractor, I find it hard to think that one of the top 3 automobile manufacture
of our country has not built a "Chevy Tractor" I'm sure there have been many chevy engines transplanted into tractors but has there ever been an actual tractor made by GM ? we all know Ford has their's and IH built many models and is IH Canada made? JD built very reliable tractors but why they never built cars?
why do the Japs name their tractors the way they do I find them relating to the names of their Motorcycles, Yanmar/Yamaha... Honda/Hinomoto....
Suzuki/Iseki..... Kawasaki/Komatsu........ and lastly are Mitsubishi cars the same as the tractors manufactures,
Just makes me what-a-go Hmmmm?:cool: :D

/ Tractors Built by Who? #2  
Samson Tractor was a division of General Motors from 1917 to 1922

180px-010671.jpg

http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/Samson_Tractors

/ Tractors Built by Who?
I knew GM had to be in there at one time building tractors, I guess I'm just not old enough to ever remember hearing of a " GM Tractor " ;) and really never hear of the Samson being mentioned, This does proof one thing...
Ford Dominated Chevy even back then :D

/ Tractors Built by Who? #4  
GM made diesel engines for John Deere. I know the 435 is powered by one. I always wanted one of those.

A lot of the electrical parts on my dad's IH are AC Delco.

/ Tractors Built by Who? #5  
Almost all of the Japanese companies are named after the founders surname.

/ Tractors Built by Who? #6  
Euclid was a GM division and they made earth moving tractors to pull scrapers, dumps and bottom dumps. Other than the Samson Shur grip I do not think that GM ever made ag tractors.

/ Tractors Built by Who? #7  
GM also had a heavy equipment division up until about early 1980's called TEREX. Made dozers, frontend loader, big dump trucks and pan scrapers. Sold it to a German company if I remember correctly. Located in Hudson , OH. ( plant that is)

/ Tractors Built by Who? #8  
Not GM ....but Chrysler had a chance at tractor making ,

Rather than fight Fate-Root-Heath over the name Plymouth, Chrysler should have started a joint venture. The Plymouth Tractor later known as Silver Kings after Fate-Root-Heath sold Chrysler the name Plymouth for 1 dollar) were a heck of a tractor The original 1934 is my Avatar.

Again not GM thought you all might appreciate the read.
History of the Plymouth Silver King