Filled tires PLUS wheel weights ?

/ Filled tires PLUS wheel weights ? #1  

Arky217

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4200
I read in a couple of old posts that if you have wheel weights AND loaded tires, it could put too much strain on your drive axles, etc.

My L4200 Kubota doesn't have filled tires but it has 3 sets of wheel weights (total of 360 #).

The tires are R4's, size 17.5 x 24.
I just don't have enough traction with just the wheel weights. The tractor has a loader and when I get in a hard pull, the rears just slip and the fronts really dig in. I'm afraid it's putting too much strain on the fwd.

I am considering putting wwf in the rears.
It would take 55 gal. in each tire to bring it to the valve stems.
But I was wondering, since it has the wheel weights, maybe I should put about 25 gal. in each tire instead.

Do you think that would be prudent, or do you think that I should not have any problems filling them all the way to the stems ?

( Of course, I could use ballast on the 3ph, for just pulling from the drawbar, but when I wanted to use something like a box blade, I would have to remove the ballast and the weight on the tires would be lighter again).

/ Filled tires PLUS wheel weights ? #2  
Put all the WWF in the tires you want to. That and the wheel weights are adding nothing to the axel, it is all going to the rim and tires. If the tires can handle it your OK.

/ Filled tires PLUS wheel weights ? #3  
Put all the WWF in the tires you want to. That and the wheel weights are adding nothing to the axel, it is all going to the rim and tires. If the tires can handle it your OK.

I second this. The extra weight in the tires should not hurt the axles.

/ Filled tires PLUS wheel weights ? #4  
Your tires are the same type (R4) & size of mine and you are correct - 55 gal mix is the right fill and it adds right at 480 lbs. per tire (methanol & water). You will be amazed at the better ride and the increase in traction. On my particular tractor, 10 or 11 psi air pressure gives me the perfect footprint - you will have to experiment with your tractor to find what works best for you in air pressure. By the way, I've had mine filled for over 8 years and 1800 hours and never had a leak !!

/ Filled tires PLUS wheel weights ? #5  
Your tires are the same type (R4) & size of mine and you are correct - 55 gal mix is the right fill and it adds right at 480 lbs. per tire (methanol & water). You will be amazed at the better ride and the increase in traction. On my particular tractor, 10 or 11 psi air pressure gives me the perfect footprint - you will have to experiment with your tractor to find what works best for you in air pressure. By the way, I've had mine filled for over 8 years and 1800 hours and never had a leak !!
55G water weighs 460#. Water methanol is a little lighter. Great benefits with ballast like you say.:thumbsup:
larry