Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    2006 Mahindra 6000, 1987 Ford 2910

Default Re: loaded tires - worth keeping loaded?

Keep the tires loaded and also be sure the rear tires are set with a wide track. You can look at the tires and rims and see the different adjustment possibilities, including swapping the sets from side to side.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sellercreek View Post
    Keep the tires loaded and also be sure the rear tires are set with a wide track. You can look at the tires and rims and see the different adjustment possibilities, including swapping the sets from side to side.
    I have to add that handling loaded rear tires of this size can be DANGEROUS.
    {I'm trying to NOT be a safety freak here}
    Figure they probably weigh 900 or so pounds a piece and taking them off to turn their centers involves balancing them on edge while working on them with tools that might require considerable torque to the bolts and force to get the centers out.

OK, enough lead-in; PLEASE use an engine crane or something similar.
    The centers are fairly heavy just on their own, so if you have any lower back issues....
    just do the right thing (-:

Not saying don't do it, just reminding that they are a LOT heavier than car/truck tires that you may be used to handling and with liquid ballast a WAY LOT MORE MUCH HEAVIER (plus some more superlatives).

Swapping side to side ? I wouldn't expect to roll one of these around from one side of the tractor to the other.
    Rolling the other one back... I think my luck for the day would be SPENT (-:

Tractor
    Case DX45, Kubota L39, Kubota RTV500

I have a case DX45 which is essentially same tractor as your TC40, just 45HP ver. 40HP. I have loaded R4s with a FEL and would not want to use the tractor without the loaded tires. A full load of sand in the FEL bucket will still make the back end light even with the loaded tires. The tractor is much more stable on hills and gets much better traction in the snow. The only draw back is that if you have to run the tractor across a lawn you will leave ruts unless the ground is very dry and hard.
    Case DX45 with FEL, Kubota L39TLB, Kubota RTV500

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by teach View Post
    RobertN,
    It depends what the tires are loaded with. If they have calcium in them, empty them before you have replace the rims (when the rust out prematurely). If they have beat juice, keep it, it may be handy to have the extra weight sometime in the future and why dump it if its already paid for?
    Good luck!
    Teach
    This factor of rim deterioration is mitigated with tubes. I have had calcium in my tires for 25 years with tubes. I would not want to load tires with calcium chloride unless it was going to be put in with tubes. (I do not know if they would load tires with this stuff w/out tubes?)

Silver Member

Arrow,
    I recently sold someone in Mass my complete set of tires/rims for a Bota B7500 because his rears both had rusted holes from the inside out, completely through the rims. (less than 10 years old) from calcium (no tubes apparently).
    Teach

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by teach View Post
    Arrow,
    I recently sold someone in Mass my complete set of tires/rims for a Bota B7500 because his rears both had rusted holes from the inside out, completely through the rims. (less than 10 years old) from calcium (no tubes apparently).
    Teach
    Lets hope he learns for the next time and loads with tubes or chooses beet juice. Calcium is like a slow acting acid on steel. I once broke a valve stem while logging and some of the calcium leaked into the rim area while the rest went everywhere else. It created some pretty good rust spots within two days. After I dismantled the tire, I sanded the inside part of the rim down to bear metal and painted the inside part with the same paint they use for bridges around here. The guy who loaded my tires originally just knew to include tubes and would not sell me the calcium unless I bought the tubes to insert within the rim.

Tractor
    in-between tractors

Robert, I have a 1700 Ford w/ 770 loader 4WD and unloaded Ag tires. Ruts are an issue even with unloaded tires. I do have wheel weights that I add along with rear ballast. My property is nothing but hill, there are areas that I don't mow with the tractor. If ruts are not a problem I would leave the tires loaded unless you find calcium chloride as the loading agent.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Case JXU 85; Kubota B1550HST

rear ballast will add better balance than loaded tyres if you had to choose between the two, bear in mind that the pivot point with the loader attached is probably at the rear tyres, so rear ballast will have more of a counter balance effect.
    2010 Case IH JXU85 Cab (farmall 85U)
    Challenge CL361X FEL hydro-ride with MHD 180 4-1 bucket
    Howard 7' EHD slasher dual wheels
    RapidSpray 600L PTO sprayer with 4metre boom arms
    Berends 2metre soil aerator

hard working Kubota B1550HST (<2000hrs)
    5' MMM
    110cm slasher

Tractor
    Mahindra 3525

If you live in an area where thorns, thistles, cactus, etc. are a problem you may want to dump the fluid in the tires for a small amount of SLIME to prevent flats. Use a box blade or other three point attachment for rear ballast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12