loaded tires - worth keeping loaded?

/ loaded tires - worth keeping loaded? #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I got this used NH TC40. The back tires are loaded. The book says that should be about 600lbs/tire.

I used my smaller Kubota for 11 years without loaded tires. This tractor is just bigger, faster, bigger mower ect.

What is the value of loading the tires? I do not disc, plow ect.

/ loaded tires - worth keeping loaded? #3  
With flat land and no FEL, I would empty them; FEL, keep them loaded or put a LOT of weight on the back for ballast.

We have an older model 2WD Case on one of our farms that we use solely for bush hogging and we unloaded the tires on it. It doesn't have a FEL and it will spin pulling a tricycle out of a ditch, but it works great for its intended use.

/ loaded tires - worth keeping loaded?
We're kinda hilly. Parents place, that I take care of, is flat. I have and use the loader. That was part of upgrading the tractor, for the full 1/2yard bucket. That and ability to run 6' rotary mower.

I have only needed to plow snow once; my tractor was 45 miles away... Helping a close friend after the loss of thier Mom.

/ loaded tires - worth keeping loaded? #5  
We're kinda hilly. Parents place, that I take care of, is flat. I have and use the loader. That was part of upgrading the tractor, for the full 1/2yard bucket. That and ability to run 6' rotary mower.

I have only needed to plow snow once; my tractor was 45 miles away... Helping a close friend after the loss of thier Mom.

Then, it may really be best to keep them loaded. Having the weight of the lowered center of gravity gives a more stable feeling and having and using the loader adds to the "keep 'em filled" direction. Now, if your concerns are more about yard ruts, then that is another issue to deal with.

/ loaded tires - worth keeping loaded? #6  

IIRC that loader has about 2400~2500 lb lift capacity - is that close ?
With a BIG bucket you just might be tempted to use all of that.
YEAH, abso_friggin_lutely KEEP IT !!! (-:
600 lbs would probably be RimGuard in 17.5L24 R4s

/ loaded tires - worth keeping loaded? #7  
RobertN,
It depends what the tires are loaded with. If they have calcium in them, empty them before you have replace the rims (when the rust out prematurely). If they have beat juice, keep it, it may be handy to have the extra weight sometime in the future and why dump it if its already paid for?
Good luck!
Teach

/ loaded tires - worth keeping loaded? #8  
With a fairly large capacity FEL I would for sure leave them loaded for at least long enough to find out how it performs with a full bucket. You might find it is none too heavy on the rears even with the tires loaded when you have a full bucket. Be a shame to unload them then find out it was a bad idea.

/ loaded tires - worth keeping loaded? #9  
I moved up from a 35 HP tractor to a 50 HP tractor. The smaller tractor was 122 inches long and weighed 3000 pounds, with a loader about 3500 pounds. I had no traction problems at all and my tires were not loaded. The new tractor is 135 inches long and weighs 4266 with out a loader. I am well over 5000 pounds with the loader. Because of most of the weight up front with the front drive,engine,loader,and anything I put in the loader,the back end is light. I loaded the back tires with Rimguard and it helped quit a bit. But at times I have to use the FWD. Having a bigger tractor does not automatically mean better traction. Personally the extra weight was put in for a reason and cost the old owner 3 or 4 hundred dollars. I would leave it in,unless like another poster said it has calcium in them,then I would think about removing that to avoid corrosion down the road. It is a lot safer with the added weight.

/ loaded tires - worth keeping loaded? #10  
If you jack up a rear tire and rotate the valve to 12 o'clock.....
Nahh, don't bother with that; Just take a valve cap off and use a finger nail to press the schrader valve in for a split second.
If you get a brown spray on the end of your finger you have RimGuard, probably ~$300/350 worth, it is very soluble in water and will rinse off your finger easily.
If it is WHITE you have calcium, decide whether to keep or dump and replace.
If it is clear - could be water, according to local climate it MIGHT have anti freeze or windshield washer fluid as well.
Taste test at your own risk, etc.

Whatever it is I think I would keep it.
Probably not worth the expense and hassle of removing calcium and "cleansing" the rims, they're likely good for 30 years with calcium anyway - I'd worry about THAT issue 20 years from now, or leave it as a puzzle for the next generation to solve (-: