What should I do?

/ What should I do? #1  

Bob Ha

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN75, Kubota M9960, Kubota M7040, NH T4.85
Cleaned my engine (turbo diesel) and washed the outer filter the other day. It was sunny and about 80 degrees outside. I let the filter dry for several hours and hand tested for dryness before reinstalling. When I started the engine little specs of soot came flying out the exhaust. Apparently the filter was not dry! What should I do and could this cause any harm? I feel stupid enough so please be nice.:D

/ What should I do? #2  
Not sure how a damp filter would lead to soot in exhaust?

Did you pull filter back out and take a look?

I don't typically clean my filters I purchase new and throw out old.

Joel

/ What should I do? #3  
Maybe the machine is breathing a little better now without all of the crud restricting the air filter. If it were blowing black smoke then I would be more concerned. It does sound like it is running and idling ok right?

/ What should I do?
It started up and ran for a few seconds and died. Started up again and ran fine for about five minutes on its way to the barn. I haven稚 started it since while I'm deciding what to do if anything. I'm guessing it died due to the water getting into the air and fuel mixture but I'm no mechanic so I'm being a little cautious. I'm not positive the moisture came from the filter but that was my conclusion which may be wrong.

/ What should I do? #5  
After washing and then drying for several hours in 80 degree weather I just feel there would not be that much moisture in that filter. If you hand checked it for dryness/wetness and it didn't feel wet it must have been reasonably dry, especially given the time frame and heat. It just may be a coincidence that you got the soot.

/ What should I do? #6  
I suggest you pop down to you local dealer and buy a new filter. Without seeing the filter, I'm guessing although the outer part felt dry, it may have still been wet on the inner part.
Anyway you could put it in a microwave (don't do that if there's any metal parts on the filter!!!) or put it in a clothers dryer at no more then a medium setting?
I'm also one who replaces filters unless they're specifically made for cleaning and reuse (like some K&N filters).

I don't think you damaged your engine, but that water may have turned to steam (in the cylinder) and did a bit of cleaning of the head. I've seen this done with gasoline engines, but never a diesel. The mechanic will spray a mist of water through the intake. I doubt there was enough water to hydrolock the engine. Anyway, that would have prevented the second starting. My opinion is if you started it again, it would run longer...or continure to run. But don't do that until you know you have a clean, dry airfilter to install (don't operate that engine without an airfilter!!).

Last edited:
   / What should I do? #7  
It sounds to me like you got a bit of water down /in the exhaust when you were washing it and then it blew it out when you fired up the tractor. just my 2 cents

/ What should I do? #8  
It sounds to me like you got a bit of water down /in the exhaust when you were washing it and then it blew it out when you fired up the tractor. just my 2 cents

Agreed. We are hearing about two unrelated occurrances.

Take special note that the OP cleaned the OUTER air filter.

/ What should I do? #9  
could it have restricted it enough to really richen up your mixture?

let it dry for a day or so/buy a new one and try 'er again....

/ What should I do? #10  
It's no big deal. People drive their tractors out in rainstorms. What's the difference ? It's got a cover on the air filter.

Steve