Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS

Default FEL Limitations

Hi Folks. question re the lifting capacity of a (my FEL). Was using my 5264 Montana on the weekend. Im building a new Garage (set into a hill so i have access to 2 levels) and I have +- 2,000 Tons of dirt, clay , topsoil in 5 large mounds.

Given that i need a variety of fill for several areas needing ladscaping around the new house, i set about moving bucket loads of it. (no Im not going to move it all with my Tractor...the contractor will take care of 99% of it)

I found that if i dug too deep & to low into the dirt mound and pulled up on th ejoy stick to raise the FEL, it just wouldnt go. If eased it out a bit, i could get a good bucket full with no trouble.

Am I asking too much to expect the FEL to push up on such a mass of dirt (ie it has its limits) ? or do I have Hydraulic issue ?. Once the bucket is loaded, i have no issues raising/lowering/tilting.

just need to know if I have a problem or if I just need to be more careful not to overload my hydraulics and Loader.
    Montana 5264 4wd Tractor with FEL

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Default Re: FEL Limitations

Quote Originally Posted by Dave5264 View Post
    I found that if i dug too deep & to low into the dirt mound and pulled up on th ejoy stick to raise the FEL, it just wouldnt go. If eased it out a bit, i could get a good bucket full with no trouble.

Am I asking too much to expect the FEL to push up on such a mass of dirt (ie it has its limits) ? or do I have Hydraulic issue ?. Once the bucket is loaded, i have no issues raising/lowering/tilting.
    You probably tried to lift more then your loader can handle, especially since you backed out a bit and lifted with no problem. I'd guess you were trying to lift a volume well in excess of your bucket capacity.
    I don't know what your loader's lifting capacity is, and I doubt you know how much load you were trying to lift.
    All in all, I doubt you have a problem. Just take smaller bites.
    Roy Jackson

”"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    John Deere 770

When going into the pile, sort of scrape the exterior with your bucket in an upward motion.

Go in low but don't get under the whole pile, just take the outer material as you work your bucket up, and curl it back at the same time.

Or, go into the pile high, using the bottom edge of your bucket in a downward motion, knocking down loose material that you can then scoop with your bucket.

Don't know if this answers your question.??.....I tried.

Take a more delicate bite out of the pile rather than trying to fit the whole big mac into your mouth at once.!!

Have I answered your question now.????

BTW, nice guitar.
    JD770 '92 4x4 SMC FEL JD Ballast Box 6' CountyLine Back Blade 6' CountyLine Rake CountyLine CarryAll
    64" Frontier Snowblower

Favorite Color....Green

The sky was yellow and the sun was blue.

Tractor

Yep, I think your saying I should have better table/tractor manners and taking too big a bite will make me and my FEL choke.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

It sounds normal to me.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

Quote Originally Posted by Dave5264 View Post
    Yep, I think your saying I should have better table/tractor manners and taking too big a bite will make me and my FEL choke.

CHOKE!
    LOL!
    Just hope that it doesn't start upchucking.

Controlled curl is the answer!

Now when you feel the rear end raising you know for shure that you are taking too big a bite.
    Without my ballast installed I've had that happen.
    My l'il Mitsu thinks it is a skidsteer at times as I have moved many a truck load of material.
    Since I installed a toothbar it now thinks that it is an excavator.

Elite Member
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    (B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm

+1 with JDgreengrass. When you go in low to a bucket depth, you are trying to lift the whole pile the depth of the bucket......... too much for any loader. I've found that trying to visualize a 3"-4" slice off the front of the pile works best, and usually results in a rounding bucket. Your loader is much larger than mine so you may have to adjust the amount, but you get the idea. If loam, and other dense materials have been sitting around for a while, they can pack pretty firmly. In those situations I've found that going high with the bucket in nearly the dumped position, and pulling material down to provide some loose material, followed by a normal loading action is fast, and efficient..... Hope this helps some.
    B2620,Loaded R-4's , Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Bush Hog SQ148 RC, 4' x 8' chain harrow, Blizzard 54" 3PT snowblower, Tirechains. com v-bar duo grip chains (hate them), Simplicity Legacy with 48"mmm, turbo collector, Country Line carry all, Countryline Middlebuster, Woods 48" BB, Kubota QA for loader, Kubota forks, Kuhn EL23 rototiller, and more to come...

Tractor

All good tips Guys. Thanks !

I have my Box Blade on for Ballast, Tres are loaded too, the Taractor itsself never even twitches. Just the loader doesnt move when i take the big bite.

I did revert to the lift and curl method, that helped alot.

I just wanted to be sure my FEL hydro's were not compromised.

btw - I was staggered how much dirt was excavated for my foundation Big difference in volume when its removed vs when its compacted and undisturbed.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

All very good advice. Knowing your tractor and what it will and won't do is key as is experience. I have been using FEL equipped tractors from 22 HP up for years and I still screw up from time to time; others everything works just right with the curl, uplift, forward speed and I get a perfectly filled bucket.

I will probably never completely master it.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Quote Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
    It sounds normal to me.
    Me too.
    Every fel I've used will do this, especially if you're spinning the tires forward while trying to lift the bucket. This puts tractive force plus the weight of the dirt against you.
    As others have said it's easier to loosen the dirt up first then scoop with fel. I've found pallet forks to be a great tool for loosening a pile of dirt
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast