FEL Limitations

/ FEL Limitations #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Hi Folks. question re the lifting capacity of a (my FEL). Was using my 5264 Montana on the weekend. Im building a new Garage (set into a hill so i have access to 2 levels) and I have +- 2,000 Tons of dirt, clay , topsoil in 5 large mounds.

Given that i need a variety of fill for several areas needing ladscaping around the new house, i set about moving bucket loads of it. (no Im not going to move it all with my Tractor...the contractor will take care of 99% of it)

I found that if i dug too deep & to low into the dirt mound and pulled up on th ejoy stick to raise the FEL, it just wouldnt go. If eased it out a bit, i could get a good bucket full with no trouble.

Am I asking too much to expect the FEL to push up on such a mass of dirt (ie it has its limits) ? or do I have Hydraulic issue ?. Once the bucket is loaded, i have no issues raising/lowering/tilting.

just need to know if I have a problem or if I just need to be more careful not to overload my hydraulics and Loader.

/ FEL Limitations #2  
I found that if i dug too deep & to low into the dirt mound and pulled up on th ejoy stick to raise the FEL, it just wouldnt go. If eased it out a bit, i could get a good bucket full with no trouble.

Am I asking too much to expect the FEL to push up on such a mass of dirt (ie it has its limits) ? or do I have Hydraulic issue ?. Once the bucket is loaded, i have no issues raising/lowering/tilting.

You probably tried to lift more then your loader can handle, especially since you backed out a bit and lifted with no problem. I'd guess you were trying to lift a volume well in excess of your bucket capacity.
I don't know what your loader's lifting capacity is, and I doubt you know how much load you were trying to lift.
All in all, I doubt you have a problem. Just take smaller bites.

/ FEL Limitations #3  
When going into the pile, sort of scrape the exterior with your bucket in an upward motion.

Go in low but don't get under the whole pile, just take the outer material as you work your bucket up, and curl it back at the same time.

Or, go into the pile high, using the bottom edge of your bucket in a downward motion, knocking down loose material that you can then scoop with your bucket.

Don't know if this answers your question.??.....I tried.

Take a more delicate bite out of the pile rather than trying to fit the whole big mac into your mouth at once.!!

Have I answered your question now.????:laughing::licking::D

BTW, nice guitar.

/ FEL Limitations
Yep, I think your saying I should have better table/tractor manners and taking too big a bite will make me and my FEL choke.

:)

/ FEL Limitations #6  
Yep, I think your saying I should have better table/tractor manners and taking too big a bite will make me and my FEL choke.
:)

CHOKE!
LOL!
Just hope that it doesn't start upchucking.

Controlled curl is the answer!

Now when you feel the rear end raising you know for shure that you are taking too big a bite.
Without my ballast installed I've had that happen.
My l'il Mitsu thinks it is a skidsteer at times as I have moved many a truck load of material.
Since I installed a toothbar it now thinks that it is an excavator.

/ FEL Limitations #7  
+1 with JDgreengrass. When you go in low to a bucket depth, you are trying to lift the whole pile the depth of the bucket......... too much for any loader. I've found that trying to visualize a 3"-4" slice off the front of the pile works best, and usually results in a rounding bucket. Your loader is much larger than mine so you may have to adjust the amount, but you get the idea. If loam, and other dense materials have been sitting around for a while, they can pack pretty firmly. In those situations I've found that going high with the bucket in nearly the dumped position, and pulling material down to provide some loose material, followed by a normal loading action is fast, and efficient..... Hope this helps some.

/ FEL Limitations
All good tips Guys. Thanks !

I have my Box Blade on for Ballast, Tres are loaded too, the Taractor itsself never even twitches. Just the loader doesnt move when i take the big bite.

I did revert to the lift and curl method, that helped alot.

I just wanted to be sure my FEL hydro's were not compromised.

btw - I was staggered how much dirt was excavated for my foundation:confused2: Big difference in volume when its removed vs when its compacted and undisturbed.

/ FEL Limitations #9  
All very good advice. Knowing your tractor and what it will and won't do is key as is experience. I have been using FEL equipped tractors from 22 HP up for years and I still screw up from time to time; others everything works just right with the curl, uplift, forward speed and I get a perfectly filled bucket.

I will probably never completely master it.

/ FEL Limitations #10  
It sounds normal to me.

Me too.
Every fel I've used will do this, especially if you're spinning the tires forward while trying to lift the bucket. This puts tractive force plus the weight of the dirt against you.
As others have said it's easier to loosen the dirt up first then scoop with fel. I've found pallet forks to be a great tool for loosening a pile of dirt:thumbsup: