Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Default Re: Best tractor or utility vehicle for kids

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Step him up to a Gator 4x2. My grandkids really enjoy mine, and have been running it around the farm for years, since they were 11. They learn discipline, driving, danger, fun, and respect. Even learn what a choke is (almost a lost art anymore).
    Amen to that. How to handle equpment is a lost art on some generations, mine included. My dad made sure I know how to handle vehicles of any kind and vintage. I'ts been invaluable experience in every aspect of my life.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Case DX55, Ford 850

We're looking into a gator or something similar. The battery powered gator did indeed teach him how to manuever vehicles. By the age of 5 he could back that thing into areas that even I found hard to believe. He now can operate riding mowers and our old ford tractor with ease. My wife gets jealous every time she sees him backing a trailer or the log splitter into the barn. I think you are right about the next step being a full sized gator though, since we can all use it. Thanks.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by timswi View Post
    Amen to that. How to handle equpment is a lost art on some generations, mine included. My dad made sure I know how to handle vehicles of any kind and vintage. I'ts been invaluable experience in every aspect of my life.
    There will always be a need for equipment and what it can do, so I figure the fewer people who can handle it, the better for those who use it to make money.
    Ray
    BX24

I thing at 4 years old you are pushing the limits of what a battery powered toy can do. Depending on how much area you have to ride you may want to step up to something gas. My son just turned three. Don't ask me how but along the way we have picked up (all used) 2 peg perego JD 12V Gators and one JD peg perego power pull tractor and wagon. They were very good at teaching him the fundamentals of driving. Took him about 10 minutes to find the high hole with the shifter and that was all it could do for him. lots of fun but a little frustrating with the plastic tires.

Cons of the peg perego
    batteries $60 (must have two)
    Charger $30
    Must not forget to charge after a ride.

I live on 20 acres, mostly woods with trails. He would follow me on my JD 3320 into the woods and the plastic tires got to be a pain. A week ago for his third birthday I picked up a 50 polaris scrambler. Took him one week to tell me he wanted to drive it by himself. He took to the helmet with no problem. I governed the throttle so it travels at a fast walk. A day doesn't go by now when he doesn't want to ride it. Plus, with an ungoverned throttle, It has no problem hauling a 230 lb adult. I just did simple math to figure out what would give us the best bang for our buck for a growing boy. Most battery powered toys $300-$350........polaris quad that has been through one kid $750 off craigslist. Most likely, if we take decent care of this quad we will be able to sell it for most of what we have into it when it's time to upgrade.

Hope this is helpful

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Thanks, mdmjrm. Yes, that was helpful. I have pondered gas-powered things, but we'll probably wait a bit for them.

When I got home from work yesterday, my daughter was on her tractor and yelled over, "Hey, Daddy, do you want to drive around with me on your blue tractor?" (Ford) She likes it when we both drive our tractors around, so I think what I'll have to do is get her a Gator. Then I'll be able to justify getting one more myself too, because my daughter will want to drive Gators around with me.
    Ray
    BX24

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

An interesting story, was when I was hauling dirt with my 4300 bucket at my son's place, and the 4 yr old neighbor boy was drooling over the tractor. He had a battery powered gator and played with it a lot.

I offered to his Dad to let him ride with me, and it was ok. The boy was in heaven. After a few long trips getting buckets of dirt, I asked him how he was doing.

His response was "I don't like my gator no more". That gave me a good laugh.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by RayCo View Post
    There will always be a need for equipment and what it can do, so I figure the fewer people who can handle it, the better for those who use it to make money.
    That's true...But they'll run out of us eventually...Oh well.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12