Where did my SUDT go?

/ Where did my SUDT go? #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I've noticed that my hydraulic fluid might be a little low on my Kubota L4400.

Start Rant The reason I say "might be" is that the only way to check it is through one of those stupid site windows on the back. There is not a level spot on my property so checking it can be hard. If the tractor is sloping even a tiny bit forward you can't see a fluid line at all. Slope a little to the rear and the fluid covers the window! What the heck is wrong with a good old dipstick!?! End Rant

In any case, when I get it as level as possible I can barely see a fluid line. Before it was about half way up. Now, I've inspected every inch of the tractor and there is nothing leaking anywhere. I sometimes remove the FEL but otherwise the system stays closed. I always lose a few drops when I change the FEL but not much.

So where has it gone? What else do I need to check. It is running fine and I'm just inclined to add a little (its nowhere near time for a change). Should I do anything else?

/ Where did my SUDT go? #2  
That is a good question. It is kinda dumb not to have a dipstick. I dont blame you there. I havent a clue where it all has gone.

/ Where did my SUDT go? #3  
Tractor still has to be level to check the oil even if it has a dipstick so your rant about a site glass makes no sense to me.

/ Where did my SUDT go? #4  
If the dipstick is in the middle of a symmetrical pan it doesn't matter if it is level, still reads the same.:laughing:

/ Where did my SUDT go?
If the dipstick is in the middle of the pan it doesn't matter if it is level, still reads the same.

Exactly. And the site window is dead in the rear end, not anywhere near the middle. Plus, when the SUDT is new, it is hard to see the level in the window. I've seen plenty of old Kubotas where the site glass is cloudy and hard to see through and there have been a fair number of accounts here of them cracking and/or leaking.

Anyway, site glass or not, that SUDT has gone somewhere and I can't find how.

/ Where did my SUDT go? #6  
If your hydraulic pump is mounted on the engine, make sure your engine oil level is not increasing due to a leak through the pump internally to the engine.

/ Where did my SUDT go? #7  
Exactly. And the site window is dead in the rear end, not anywhere near the middle. Plus, when the SUDT is new, it is hard to see the level in the window. I've seen plenty of old Kubotas where the site glass is cloudy and hard to see through and there have been a fair number of accounts here of them cracking and/or leaking.

Anyway, site glass or not, that SUDT has gone somewhere and I can't find how.

The hydraulic oil gets hot and vents to atmosphere, so over time it may just be evaporating ever so slowly...just a thought.

/ Where did my SUDT go?
If your hydraulic pump is mounted on the engine, make sure your engine oil level is not increasing due to a leak through the pump internally to the engine.

I'll have to check the shop manual and the oil level.

/ Where did my SUDT go? #9  
honestly little stuff like that it annoying

/ Where did my SUDT go? #10  
Find a slight grade, point tractor straight down hill and use the FEL to level the tractor. There shouldn't be enough fluid in the bucket arms to change normal level that much. I don't know how long you have owned it and how much you take off the FEL, but you take those few drips and the few drips after you walk away, thats probably where the fluid is going.