welder choice

/ welder choice #1  

dsinger

Tractor
Kubota B7500
I have read some of the threads on TBN for welders. From this I realize that a combination wirecore and MIG would best suit my needs. I have decided to choose between a Campbell Hausfeld 105 combination MIg flux core wire unit and the Hobart 135 handler. The Hobart costs considerably more but is slightly higher in amps and appears to be better made. I was wondering if anyone with experience with one or both of these units can help me with my selection. I hope to purchase soon so I can get to my tractor and begin welding on goodies such as hooks! thanks for any help to this welding newbie.

/ welder choice #2  
Dan, I had the same questions (check out this thread <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ag&Number=84931&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=>http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ag&Number=84931&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=</A> and it will be quite helpful. I went with the Lincoln Pro 135 (equilvent to the Hobart) from Lowes. I too looked at the Campbell, but to me their was no comparison to the Lincoln as far as quality, and am very happy with it. Hope this helps.

/ welder choice #3  
It appears to me Campbell Hausfeld is putting their name on a whole line of homeowner grade machinery, most of it not made by them, and all of it having the bare minium quality needed to work for a few years of light duty work by weekend warriors.

I'm a Lincolin and Miller fan myself, but at least Hobart is in the business of making welders, unlike Campbell Hausfeld.

FWIW
Dave Perry

/ welder choice #4  
My father-in-law has been a union welder for 30 years. I recently asked for his advice about buying a small welder for making the same kinds of 'tools' that we have discussed here. His strong advice was Miller or Lincoln....and make sure it's AC/DC. He has a big Lincoln mounted on his 1-ton truck.

/ welder choice #5  
I bought the cheapest 120V mig welder that Miller makes. I think it is a Millermatic 130. Something like that. About $1200 with filled bottle included. That little welder has made a believer out of me. I've got three mechanics who act like teenagers when it comes to abusing equipment, and they have been beating on that welder at least every other day. It is still going strong. It's Northern brand predecessor lasted almost a year before it was fried. By the way, want to know a good trick? next time you have a bearing that has disintegrated, and you can't get the outer race out of whatever it is rusted into-try this:
Weld a bead around the inside of the race. It contracts the race the same way a flat piece of steel will curl up if you weld too many beads on one side. About 10% of the time the race will fall out of whatever it's stuck in if you whack it a couple of times. You just have to be careful not to accidentally weld the race to the thing it's stuck in. That will make you sorry you did it.

/ welder choice #6  
I bought a Hobart 135 a while back. Never have done any welding; got some scrap angle iron to practice on. So far have used only flux cored wire, no shielding gas. Used the welder to weld a three sided, u-shaped piece of steel over the rounded upper edge of my loader bucket so I would have a flat surface to weld grab hooks on to. Tested welds by hooking onto the tongue of a 16ft extra wide dual axle trailer and lifting trailer off the ground. This thing gets amazingly hot for a 110vt. machine.

/ welder choice
Thanks for everyone's help with this decision. This afternoon I purchased the Hobart Handler 135.

/ welder choice #8  
Dan,
I'll bet you'll be very happy with your choice.