How do you mow a field?

/ How do you mow a field? #1  

karmakanic

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L35 TLB, John Deere 550 dozer, Cat D-2 dozer, Allis Chalmers HD-11 dozer
How do you go about mowing a field? By that, I mean what path do you use to cover all the ground? If you're like me, the logical thing seems to be start at the outside boundry and keep making circles around and around the outside edge until you meet in the middle.

Well, that works fine for a small push mower. But with a tractor you end up doing a whole lot of turning and a little bit of mowing as you get closer to the middle.

I read something in an old book published by International Harverster on how to get the most out of your tractor that made me say "Why didn't I think of that?"

Instead of starting on the outside and working in, do it this way. Start with making a cut around the outside boundry. Then travel up one of the short sides of the boundry cut until you reach a corner, make the 90 deg turn, then travel just far enough to make another comfortable 90 deg turn, then travel down the field parallel with your first cut until you reach the boundry cut and make your two comfortable turns to arrive back at the starting point. Repeat as needed, "walking" this rectangle across the field. The unmowed grass will be on your left in one direction and on the right in the other direction. When the up cut meets the previously cut grass of the down cut, start another rectangle and repeat as needed. Your turns will never need to be tighter then the comfortable radius you establish with the rectangle. Now, that sounds clear as mud, but I hope you get the idea. Needless to say, it works just as good for any other implement, even better with plows, ect. that can't make a sharp turn without being raised out of the ground.

Of course, the old hands already knew this, probably learned it on dad's popping johnny. But, being a city boy, I didn't know it until I read it, so I pass it on to any other city boys out there.

Dave Perry

/ How do you mow a field? #2  
When we hay a big field we consider the time it will take to dry & rake than bale for the weather can also play a role...do you just want to drop the hay and not bale.

If the weather good we mowe the edges first and work our way to the middle,if the the weather uncertain than we mowe the 3 edges of the field than down the middle.

There was a topic on this I believe earlier of this year.

/ How do you mow a field? #3  
I mow <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbase.com/image/2926628>my field</A> in straight lines.

This is hard to explain in words (for me anyways) but here goes (NOTE: I have a 15' flexwing mower):

- I start out making two rounds on the outside boundary

- I then make a parallel line cut about 75 feet from one end, proceeded by another one 75' further down.

- I now have 3 sections -- 2 small sections and the remaining field.

- I can then make parallel cuts, progressively taking care of the smaller sections (75') with nice wide turns, and minimize my running over the same cut sections. I try to alternate my lines so I get that nice looking pattern (like a baseball field)

- When those sections are complete I pretty much continue the same process for the remaining portion.

I hope that makes sense -- but what I end up with is shown in the picture I linked to earlier in this post.

/ How do you mow a field? #4  
Hi Dave,

How did you get that beautiful panorama camera shot...? That's very sharp... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ How do you mow a field? #6  
I guess I never thought about cutting fields efficently. I just go around the outside perimeter a few times and then I make a forward and then just go in reverse to and cut the next row. When I get to the end I just drive forward again. My pasture/fields are only about 2 acres each so it goes pretty quick. It's like having one of those fancy mowers with the deck in front. I guess that's why my neighbors think I am a little odd???

/ How do you mow a field? #7  
If anyone is interested, here is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=143380&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>another thread</A> on this same subject.

/ How do you mow a field? #8  
Actually, it is 3 pictures pasted together. I'm not real sure the best way to go about doing a panoramic picture, but I stood in the same spot, and took 3 pictures, and then used Paint Shop Pro to splice them together.

It seems to work pretty good for far shots, but if you try and do something closer, like in a room, the angles from one picture to another are too skewed.

/ How do you mow a field? #9  
I mow down the long side and then turn around in as tight a sweep as possible and come back right up next to the path I just mowed. It leaves a teardropped shape at the end of each row. Do the same thing at the other end and keep it up until I'm done. Then it takes just two passes across each end of the field to eliminate any of the tear drops that are left. I like the pattern that it leaves. Nice stripes the length of the field with a border across each end.

/ How do you mow a field? #10  
I cut the way karmaniac described - walking rectangle is a good way to describe it but I do it on the long side also, less turning equals more time cutting. More time cutting equals less time cutting!! (I think Yogi Beara said that first /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)