Unique ballast ideas

/ Unique ballast ideas #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
Based on some neat comments in other threads, I'm starting a "show us your unique ballast ideas" thread.

The first two shout-outs go to members Chelydra for a cool log idea and gwdixon for his drill bits!!!

Show us your accomplishments please :thumbsup:

Attachments

• log.jpg
    log.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 710
  • CounterweightR.JPG
    CounterweightR.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 714
   / Unique ballast ideas #2  
I know someone is going to post that picture of an older man diving his tractor, left front wheel missing, with a heavyset eastern European woman (wife, I suppose) counterbalancing the tractor.

/ Unique ballast ideas #3  
I know someone is going to post that picture of an older man diving his tractor, left front wheel missing, with a heavyset eastern European woman (wife, I suppose) counterbalancing the tractor.
Hey, they can get that photo from several threads right on this site!:cool2:

/ Unique ballast ideas #5  
I am honored to be included on jimmyj's list. My solution may be more sustainable, but the drill bits are classier. I need something like that on my car to hold back tailgaters - one look at those teeth, and they'll ride the brakes instead of the gas.

I actually looked around for something large, iron and free before shaping that stump. I'm thinking that a small engine block should be about right. Just run a threaded run through the crankshaft holes, and tighten down so it doesn't sway. Anyone here ever try that? Or maybe a stack of old truck clutch plates or brake discs.

-Chelydra

/ Unique ballast ideas #6  
I thought of an old engine block (iron, not aluminum), too. I have a carryall box and find it easier to just load it up with some weight when I need a bit extra in the back (as opposed to hooking up the snowblower, for example). Still, it would be nice to have some weight that didn't stick out a lot in the back. Maybe a barrel full of concrete with 3PH bolts embedded in it?
BOB

/ Unique ballast ideas #7  
Ok I'll post it, but no ridicule this time. The bulk of the counterwieght is a wide flange beam. It weighs around 500 lbs. It wasn't heavy enough so I annded the keg, which is filled with lead weights from car tires. That added another 300 to 400 lbs.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trac.JPG
    Trac.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 1,255
   / Unique ballast ideas #8  
Ok I'll post it, but no ridicule this time. The bulk of the counterwieght is a wide flange beam. It weighs around 500 lbs. It wasn't heavy enough so I annded the keg, which is filled with lead weights from car tires. That added another 300 to 400 lbs.

attachment.php

Are you sure it is only lead in that keg. :drink: :D:D

/ Unique ballast ideas #9  
Wait...is that a hose I see running up to the drivers seat... :)

/ Unique ballast ideas #10  
Don't have a picture, but I have a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand, hooks up a lot like the log does.