turf or industrial, that is the question! survey

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #11  
kch,
on the new 'Bota 7500 I just ordered, it would have added $100+/- if I had went w/ R4's vs R1's. Haven't priced independent of new pkg.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #12  
Re: turf or industrial, that is the question! sur

kch
for the new 2910 the price diff. on r4's verses turfs it was only $20! thats right $20. from this my dealer called it a wash and gave me my choice, wich was r4's. as far as i have ever been told the price difference changes for every model of tractor.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #13  
Re: turf or industrial, that is the question! sur

Hi,

You also need to look at the R4 tire you will be getting. For example, I was surprised that my B2910 Kubota came with 4 ply R4s, when I was expecting 6 ply. R4s up to 12 ply have been reported on various tractors. 4 ply R4s are clearly listed as what is supplied with the B2910, so I can't complain. I should have paid more attention I suppose...

Perhaps the higher the ply rating the higher the cost of the R4s, and hence the greater the price difference that is reported now and then.

I was expecting a heavy duty, puncture resistant R4s...but after my first flat ended up foam filling the fronts for $136 for the pair. Guess in the end things worked out for me.

At the moment I have 30 hours on my tractor, and only about two are grass cutting. I am happy with the R4s, but have noticed that they on occasion do mark the grass as I drive over it.

Bill in Pgh, PA...more or less...

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #14  
i have and like R4's. they are a great comprmise. there are days i wish i had ags, then there are days i wish i had turfs, then there ar days i wish i had ags with chains, get the drift? get the tire that will suit you best for most of your needs, for me r4 was the way to go.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #15  
I use ags on all of my tractors. I mow lawn, move dirt, plow snow,grade the driveway, rototilling, etc. I notice slight scuffing while mowing if the yard is really soft. I think the other thing you have to consider is that you mow differently with a rear mounted finish mower than you do with a belly mower. I don't try to circle trees tightly any more I just catch what I missed on another pass. Much less tight turning which causes the scuffing on the lawn. I wouldn't trade my 6' finish mower and a little scuffing to go back to 42" and a lawn tractor for anything.
nick

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #16  
kch, on my NH 1920 I currently have turf tires. One thing to consider is most turf tires are smaller in diameter than R-4s (and ags). There is a 6 inch difference 43" for turfs, 49" for R-4s that corresponds in a 3 inch loss of ground clearance on the NH 1920. With a sub frame mounted backhoe that 3 inches sometimes means the difference between getting hung up on objects or not. Just my thoughts.

Bill C

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #17  
I use my tractor alot as a digging tlb and the greater load capacity and punture resitence of the R4s decided it for me. When I do mow the R4s are ok as long as I take it easy.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey
Interesting........ so you use turf's only because they are smaller in hight? So I am assuming when you use the backhoe you don't move or need traction so besides the lower hight is there more benefits for having the turf's? I also like the fact that they make the entire tractor smaller.

I guess there are normal turf's and a exra wide truf's. New Holland calls them galaxy's I think. Does anyone have any information or experience with the exra wide turf's?

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #19  
kch
I have the Galaxy o.s. turf tires on Kubota L4610, all 4 loaded w/ Rimguard. I'm happy with them on grass and in the dirt. They work in snow as long as you plow where you're going, don't drive up on deep snow!
regards
Mutt

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #20  
I have R4s and was surprised to find when the tractor was delivered last month, or rather when I got a front puncture a few days later, that on the Kubota B2910 the standard R4s are apparently only 4 ply, front and back.

So if you are looking for the puncture resistance of a higher ply tire, check what you are getting...I assumbed R4s were all 6 ply and was surprised.

As far as grass cutting goes, my R4s seems OK, although I don't have a plush lawn by any means. I got my fronts foam filled and they still seem to do OK on the grass. That is mowing with a RFM and with the loader removed.

Bill in Pgh, PA