turf or industrial, that is the question! survey

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #1  

kch

Bronze Member
I know that this has had to have been asked before somewhere but I would like to know the benefits of having turf over industrial? I see a lot of landscapers with real wide turfs not industrial, so is turf better? When grading a new lot when you really don't know what your driving over is'nt there more chance of flats?

How many use turf and why vs. who uses industrial and why and what you mainly use your tractor for??

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #2  
Turfs distribute the weight over a greater amount of surface area thus reducing the PSI weight of your tractor. They are also more prone to flats as they are of less severe tread.

I use my tractor for digging with a FEL and BH, finish mowing, boxblading and, if my new rotary cutter ever appears, I'll use it for that, too. I use industrial tires because that's what was on my tractor when I bought it. If it had come with turfs I'd be running those.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #3  
Just remember that if you are worried about traction or compaction problems with the industrials you can always sensibly lower the air pressure in them. Thus producing a larger footprint with less pounds per square inch of ground pressure. Yes the turfs appear to be more prone to puntures and cuts, do to softer compounds and fewer plys.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #4  
   / turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #5  
For mowing grass on semi-soft ground, even my turfs caused marks.
The ideal situation would be to have both, with rims so you could change tires without to much trouble.
Before I invest in R4's, I'll try chains for clearing snow this winter.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #6  
Thanx for dusting the cobwebs off of that one Paul. I feel Glenn was right on the mark.

Taking his general use points a step farther:
even under moist conditions, when mowing in more hilly regions, the additional grip of the ag's will often scuff your lawn less due to having additional bite. This prevents the slippage that is common turning on to an uphill grade w/ turf's.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #7  
Thats why I changed. I have a few hilly, damper parts to my land that the turfs would slip on. That would dig it up a bit. Well, this year I never got around to taking the tire chains off after the winter. WOW! What a difference. So the AG's went on. We will see how they plow in the snow this winter.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey
that was a good thread! Thanks

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey #9  
I think it really depends on what you want to do. If you're mowing for myself turfs are the only way to go. I had bar tires on a mower and hated it. It tore up my lawn any time that I would spin. Went back to turfs and no problem. In winter pushing snow or using a boxblade to move dirt, etc. turfs don't cut it. It's a tough call. It really will depend on what you need the tractor for.

/ turf or industrial, that is the question! survey
does anyone know the difference between ag, indust, and turf in the way of pricing? The dealer told me r4's were $200 more then turfs. Are they worth it?