post hole running sideways

/ post hole running sideways #1  

john15nlt

Tractor
Ford 2000 1969 gas / Ford 4000 1973 Disel
anyone have any hints, I have a ford 2000 with a new tractor supply post hole digger, there is a lot of slack top to botom on the 3 pt, I have run it on new tractors and not had this much problem, but on this tractor it will almost dig a 45 degree angle. I have thought about trying to tighten it up by adjusting the chains on the draw bar but not sure that will do anything when I am at the botton of the dig which is where there is the most slop, i have tried adjusting the one arm with the adjuster to compensate for the rotation but that only helps modestly.

/ post hole running sideways #2  
I assume you are talking right or left of center, not front to back? You might try digging a bit slower. Make the auger pull the arm down, this will prevent the support arm from being able to lean one way or the other.

/ post hole running sideways
yes, top of the auger shifts to the left, or right if you are on top of the tractor looking back, I assume you mean keep the slack tight in the arms, not lower the pto speed.

/ post hole running sideways #4  
Yes, keep tension on the support arm, don't let the auger support the full weight. Just feed it slowly until you are a foot or so deep. It should be able to guide itself from there. Not real sure that's your problem since you didn't have problems with your other tractor, but maybe the older tractor has a bit more play in the 3 pt arms.

/ post hole running sideways #5  
You probably have too much loosness in the 3 pt set up. When you put the weight of the PHD on the auger, gravity will make it go to the side. When it is turning against a force while digging, the PHD's will tend to alomot always lean in one direction. This occurs with nearly all tractors but more noticeable in those with "loose" 3 pt systems. The solution is to tighten up all the areas or loosness. Not easy with a Ford 2000. Our Ford 8N was also notorious for the same problem. The other solution is to out think the PHD. Since the PHD will nearly always lean the same direction, you have to postion the tractor differently. After you place the point of the auger on the ground, you will have to drive slightly forward and backwards and repostion the auger head to opposite the side it tends to lean. Easier to do with HST but can be done with a gear drive in 2-3 movements and turning the front wheels one way and then the other. This will put some pressure on all the loose areas and support the PHD to drill vertical instead of at an angle. The only other method requires someone else to push or pull the PHD to hold it in vertical postion. The last option is not advised due to rotating auger/pto shaft ect. Even the last method of someone holding will require the PHD to be held throughout the entire hole. Otherwise it will lean again even after the hole is started.

/ post hole running sideways #6  
It just takes practice , I have dug hundreds of holes using a 64 ford 2000 with a bushhog p.o. digger . I use a shovel to remove the grass and make a slight hole for auger tip so it doesen't move . Position the tractor and auger on the spot . Adjust the leveling crank so boom is level , then at idle speed start the auger , after about six inches deep , I move tractor foward till the auger is again straight ( front to back this time ) and dig some more . Sometimes you will have to move the tractor again to kept the auger going straight down . A second person to eyeball makes this much easier .

H