shredder size vs mowing time

/ shredder size vs mowing time #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I am sure I could do the math on cut width, travel speed, overlap and figure out some sort of estimate but let me hear some estimates on time per acre with various shredder sizes assuming wide open mowing, smooth ground, average speeds.

I am trying to work on some cost of equipment vs time mowing estimates to help with a purchase decision.

/ shredder size vs mowing time #2  
I am sure I could do the math on cut width, travel speed, overlap and figure out some sort of estimate but let me hear some estimates on time per acre with various shredder sizes assuming wide open mowing, smooth ground, average speeds.

I am trying to work on some cost of equipment vs time mowing estimates to help with a purchase decision.

I just finished bush hogging 2 pastures with 4 foot high tall fescue and it was thick..has been established for 40 yrs.. the first pasture was 6 Acres and it took me 5 hours and looked great when I was finished..the second pasture was about 5 acres and I finished that in 4 hours or so....I used a NH TC- 29 with a 5 foot Bush Hog brand Bush hog...and there was overlapping ...it was so thick in spots I had to use 2nd speed and 2nd gear and only take a 3 foot bite sometimes...that is pretty good I think for 29 HP...I think New Hollands are more powerful than they say they are. I have JD 3020 that is over 70 HP but I couldn't use it since it is too big to get under tree branches in these pastures...but the NH...never missed a lick..Hope this helps you.:)

/ shredder size vs mowing time
So I guess about 1.25 acres per hour with a 5' cutter is what you are getting.

That is not bad. I have 7 acres to cut so about 5 and half hours to cut it.