Beware ! See if this is another Craig's list Scam?

/ Beware ! See if this is another Craig's list Scam? #32  
phishing for email addresses for a rural advertising database.

Apparently he's phishing for more than email addresses. I sent an email to him (before I knew it was a scam). Never thought I'd get a reply but today got the following:

Hi , my name is Thomas Dillon.
the Tractor is still available for sale in excellent condition , It starts and runs fine. Model Year : 2007 , Fuel: Diesel , model - 2305 Compact Utility Tractor , 100 hours for personal use. Never used commercially. My final price is $2,900 for this tractor and I think is very good. You will love this tractor. I need money to pay the mortgage on my house. I put the Tractor on eBay at $2,900 Buy it now! Because this is the only way that I'm going to sell. Is much better for us, because I'm member from 2002 and having 100% positive feedback.

Please reply me only if you are interested.

Note: I tried to send a fraud alert to Ebay but could not find the listing. I guess he wants me to reply, then he will list it, then he will take the $2900, then he will disappear. :laughing:

/ Beware ! See if this is another Craig's list Scam? #33  
I agree..I am the Original Poster, and I have a @gmail account myself and I sure don't place scam ads ...I don't know why he singled out gmail....what about Yahoo or MSN or all the others...LOL

I have replied to several of these scams (using a different account than my normal one) and most of the scammers have been using Hotmail or MSN.
Now, this is only a sample size of ~10, but out of those 10 ~8 have had Hotmail or MSN accounts, 1 had a Yahoo account and 1 had a Gmail account.

Aaron Z

/ Beware ! See if this is another Craig's list Scam?
I am pasting below the response I got when I used a junk email account I keep for just such inquiries...This is what I got back when I inquired about the JD tractor and all those implements for only $2,900

" The tractor is already at a shipping company my brother in law works for. He promissed me he will deliver it at no cost in all the US cities while I`m out of town. I also list it on eBay for a secure transaction using their VPP (vehicle purchase protection) program.The package includes all atachements, trailer and shipping cost, all at $2,800. If you are still interested in buying the tractor I can give you the link to my auction. It`s a buy it now auction so you won`t have to bid. thank you for your time "

/ Beware ! See if this is another Craig's list Scam? #35  
I have seen several scams lately on Craig's List in my area. Its usually a late model vehicle, often a diesel truck, for sale at about 25% what it is worth. Like others have said, it is often posted in other areas of the country the same day. I suppose it only takes one person to fall for it to make it worth there while to keep posting these scams.

There is a new one today on the local C.L. The pictures look like they are from Florida or Southern California. The price is at least 1/4 of what the vehicle should be worth. It seems like there is often 2 or 3 of these every day.

Probably a lost cause, but could law enforcement track down these people and do something about it?

/ Beware ! See if this is another Craig's list Scam? #36  
Probably a lost cause, but could law enforcement track down these people and do something about it?

Probably not unless someone were to pay for the item (and have proof that they paid for that item) and not receive it.

Aaron Z

/ Beware ! See if this is another Craig's list Scam? #37  
As I've been looking for equipment lately I've run into a ton of these fraudulent postings. As noted before, most seem to use a gmail or msn email account.

One strong indicator I've seen is that there is no way to use Craigslist to email them back. Most valid listings have the anonymized Craigslist email link at the top of the listing under the title. You can use that to respond to the poster's private email address without knowing their email address. (makes it safe to post and allow incoming email without giving out your real email to the search bots).

Every one of the fraud postings I've identified relied on you contacting them via and email in the body of the message instead of a phone number for the craigslist anonymized email.

I just flag them as spam/overpost.

I did follow through on one to the point of following the supposed eBay link and found the fraudulent website VERY close to the real eBay. Many of the embedded web links were to the real eBay site, like eBay Home, eBay legal, etc.

As noted on Craigslist, anytime someone asks for payment via MoneyGram or one of those cash transfer services it's going to be fraudulent. Any legitimate eBay transaction is going to allow PayPal at a minimum.

Erik

/ Beware ! See if this is another Craig's list Scam? #38  
That same ad ran in my area a few months ago. A recent one was a New Holland that had every little goodie in the world, I believe that they were asking 3500 bucks or something ridiculous like that. If only it were possible.....

/ Beware ! See if this is another Craig's list Scam? #39  
As much as I'd like to 'drag-these-scumbags' over the 'coals' with e-mails back and forth, I really think that you should accept it for what it is......A SCAM!! I've seen several that were too good to be true, as they are! I don't Ferk with them anymore, because everytime I hit 'Send' I'm putting more of my 'data' out there! But, if they mention the "go to e-bay, because I want to deal through them.....gimmick, which as you know, takes you to a very convincing E-Bay Clone Site, Then I E-mail Ebay!! I've been very sucessful getting quick 'personal' response from those REAL E-Bay, folks. But I don't know what they can really do to stop this! ~Scotty