New considering custom bailing

/ New considering custom bailing #11  
I know all that but I will mention you forgot motor carrier number and a misspelled word who cares when its always spelled bail then it comes first hand.

Cline bailing, I can picture you getting a lot of late night phone calls from thugs wanting your services.:laughing:

Seriously admit your mistakes, I learned a long time ago in business IT IS CHEAPER:D

/ New considering custom bailing #12  
I might be in the area of 60 miles away. I think $18 a bale for good tight net wrapped hay about 1100lbs is fair I know a few guys in the area charging $21 a bale for 900lb bales that are loosely wrapped.I know a lot of people are going to 4x5 bales. What size is best for consumers? We generally buy 5x5 but fewer people are dealing that size bales.

Go large square, more demand.

I would double check your interpretation of "farm use". You have to be a farmer to fall under farm use, at least that is the way it is here.

Good luck.......

Last edited:
   / New considering custom bailing
To anyone who lives in Oklahoma or a surrounding state what size bales are becoming more common 4x5-6 or 5x5.

Thanks Bird and Sweettractors for your input.

/ New considering custom bailing #14  
It's getting hard to sell round bales at all here , Sold 500 big squares by feb but still only half way through 550 rounds.
I will be going to a smaller 4x6 round baler this year , Always got my eye out for a cheap big square on an auction but otherwise hay just aint worth enough .

/ New considering custom bailing #15  
I wouldnt do a high moisture bales due to I dont want there hay burning to the ground. I live in oklahoma and figured I would go to an area and pick up jobs in that area then move once I'm done with several customers.

I have never heard of silage bales burning to the ground around here, is that a problem in OK?

/ New considering custom bailing #16  
I have never heard of silage bales burning to the ground around here, is that a problem in OK?

My family and neighbors put up couple thousand high moisture bales per year and have never had a fire or smoke. I am confused as well? Ken Sweet

/ New considering custom bailing #17  
We don't want to confuse "silage" with "hay" bales.:)

/ New considering custom bailing #18  
My family and neighbors put up couple thousand high moisture bales per year and have never had a fire or smoke. I am confused as well? Ken Sweet

I've seen several hay barns burn from high moisture hay . One was my grandfathers back inthe 80's .

/ New considering custom bailing #19  
I've seen several hay barns burn from high moisture hay . One was my grandfathers back inthe 80's .

High moisture hay and Haylage are 2 completely different things. I have had regular hay rolls smoke a couple times myself. Keep in mind that for a fire to start, there needs to be oxygen, Haylage has the oxygen cut off by the wrapping of plastic or sliding in tubes of plastic. Ken Sweet

/ New considering custom bailing #20  
High moisture hay and Haylage are 2 completely different things.

That's what I was talking about when I used the word "silage". I never forgot seeing a hay barn, or shed, burn when I was just a kid, before I was 10 years old. There was a rather large shed (poles and roof; no sides) in Purcell, OK, full of hay and on fire when we drove by on the highway. A week later, we drove by again and it was still smoldering. Of course, in the late '90s, I was a member of our country volunteer fire department. Hay fires are tough to extinguish, but "silage" or "haylage" was so uncommon in the neighborhood that I had no experience, and of course never knew of any to burn.

But here's a couple of pictures of the best silage I've seen. That's 100% corn, cut and ground up, stalks, cobs, and all; ground or crushed so thoroughly there's not a whole kernel of corn anywhere. This sure beats wrapping and baling.

Attachments

• P7070001.JPG
    P7070001.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 160
  • P7070007.JPG
    P7070007.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 163