Backhoe should I pin my backhoe?

/ should I pin my backhoe? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi,

When doing loader work and not needing to use the backhoe, say for several hours, should I pin the backhoe?

I have noticed that the boom gradually drifts down, and every once in a while I have to engage the pto and lift the boom back up again.

Seems like it would be a good idea to pin the boom, or both the boom and swing, if I am moving around the yard but have no need of the hoe except as weight to counter balance the loader.

I think my manual says not to pin things if transporting the tractor, like on a trailer. But it does say to pin it if transporting the tractor around the job site. Doesn't say specifically what to do if working the tractor.

What do you guys do?

Thanks for any advice...

By the way, it is a 3PH backhoe, Kubota on a B2910.

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ should I pin my backhoe? #2  
Well for twenty+ years the hoe on our old Kubota didn't have the ability to pin it in place. And as the play increased in the pins and bushings so did the ability of that old hoe to throw the tractor around while just cruising or doing loader work. The new hoe does have transport pins, I use them all the time and there is a lot less whiplash to deal with. as well as a lot less maintenance.

/ should I pin my backhoe? #3  
I have a 2710 with the 4690 backhoe and I typically keep mine pinned unless I'm using it frequently. My thoughts are that if something would catch on the control lever and drop the hoe or if it'd drift down too much without me noticing it, then it could grab onto something.

I would recommend that you use the backhoe's hydraulics to carry the weight and not let it rest on the pin itself. I used to let mine rest on the pin and after some bouncing around it managed to break the weld and the pin came out. It was still under warranty and the dealer welded it up better than new.

/ should I pin my backhoe? #4  
You should. I should. I don't. I'm going to go buy some pins this week and start doing it since you've made me conscious of the error of my ways. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif Thanks. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ should I pin my backhoe?
Truejourney got me worried now!

I know my boom drifts down, so there is no way the hydraulics could hold it, rather than the pin, while it is pinned, is there? Maybe I am Missing something...but my concern now is that I might also end up breaking something, since I also have the 4690 hoe, if I pin it.

My hoe boom will drift down even if the pump is running [PTO is turning].

Now I can see reasons to both pin and NOT pin the thing.

Suppose I will let these thoughts digest for a few days...

Bill

/ should I pin my backhoe? #6  
Pin while using the tractor for anything else besides backhoe work. Lower boom when hauling(no pin). Full size backhoes have boom locks for a reason. Worst case is the swing goes downslope while the FEL is raised up in the air and upsets the tractor.

/ should I pin my backhoe?
Hi,

Thanks for the good input!

I just re-read my BL4690A manual...and I see it specifically says to latch the boom look link and pin the swing lock, and to disengage the PTO before "transporting" the backhoe around the jobsite.

The word transporting is what confused me. In my mind now I think they meant before "operating" the TLB at the jobsite in any mode other than the backhoe mode.

Later in the manual there is a note that the boom lock link is specifically designed to be used whever the backhoe is being transported to and from, or around the jobsite with the tractor.

I think that, coupled with the next paragraph in the manual, which starts with IMPORTANT - The boom lock should not be used when the unit is transported on a trailer or when the unit is stored or parked, just simply confused me. I did read the manual before posting this tread, and somehow there seemed to be a conflict in what was being stated.

If the boom lock is not to be used on a trailer, how can it stand up to the bouncing that occurs while using the tractor on the jobsite? This was the question that started my head spinning. The answer is still not clear...but the water is getting clearer.

After reading the replies here, and the manual again, it is my conclusion that I should set the swing lock pin and also set the boom lock link, while using the loader, or for that matter anytine I am moving the tractor while the backhoe is mounted.

I am still not sure why the boom lock should not be used while the tractor is parked, or when being transported on a trailer. My guess is that on the trailer, lowering the bucket to the trailer is a safer way to carry the tractor, and that it may have nothing to do with the ability of the lboom lock link to hold up the boom.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my question. I think operating the tractor with the locks not in place was not the safest thing to do. I don't plan on doing that anymore.

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ should I pin my backhoe? #8  
macher
I asked my dealer this same question. His reply was that it was better to put the weight of the boom and bucket on the trailer bed than leaving it suspended on the 3PH. He also would never leave the FEL raised off trailer bed.

/ should I pin my backhoe? #9  
when on a trailer most people rest the bucket down and chain over the top. Takes a lot of the stress off the unit when making turns and lowers the center of gravity of the tractor which is a good thing when taking turns too quick. You got it right, pin when driving the unit around, doing loader work etc. rest bucket on ground when trailering or parking.