Best way to learn = do!

/ Best way to learn = do!
Gary Fowler said:
Looks like you are getting some new neighbors across the way. Will they be sharing your driveway?

Gary,

The lot next to us has been for sale for the past several years. A recent development is that the owners have approached us to buy this lot as part of a larger estate. In essence, we would then own the entire peninsula of approximately 6.4 acres. I am intrigued and the sellers seem to be very motivated to sell to us. Stay tuned!

To answer your question directly, there is no intention to share the driveway.

mjncad said:
It even looks like he has a chain up station for semi's along his driveway. :D

MJNCAD,

Interesting observation about a chain up station. Actually, that is an extra parking spot for when the kids have all their friends over. The spur going to the side of the house connects to a lower garage as well as provides access to the lake.

/ Best way to learn = do! #23  
Very nice location by the water. That lake must remain pretty calm with your house being as close as it is to the water's edge. Any issues with a high water table?

Good idea on the parking lot for the kids.

/ Best way to learn = do! #24  
I'd buy the lot if I were you. Work it out for low interest rate, low payments over time or whatever works, but buy it all the same. Otherwise some numb nuts will buy it, build on it, and in general either piss you off, or lower total property values by making it look like an urban development.

I've got a similar situation in a 5 acre lot with a high water table adjoining mine that would basically put a home right in front of my garage. And who knows how they'd screw up the drainage. Ugh.

Very nice location by the water. That lake must remain pretty calm with your house being as close as it is to the water's edge. Any issues with a high water table?

Good idea on the parking lot for the kids.

We've had a great test of the high water table this week. Almost two straight weeks of rain! Most rivers in our area are bursting their banks - many are as high as 5 ft over flood stage. Our lake is at the highest level we have seen it since we moved in, but still no worries. At the south end of the lake is a two foot diameter culvert that drains into the county drain ditch. When we built the house, I had the lower level set at two feet above the culvert. Glad to report we are high and dry! Thanks for asking!

I'd buy the lot if I were you. Work it out for low interest rate, low payments over time or whatever works, but buy it all the same. Otherwise some numb nuts will buy it, build on it, and in general either piss you off, or lower total property values by making it look like an urban development.

I've got a similar situation in a 5 acre lot with a high water table adjoining mine that would basically put a home right in front of my garage. And who knows how they'd screw up the drainage. Ugh.

Glad to report that we did end up acquiring the lot next to us. More use for the tractor!!